70-417: Upgrading Your Skills to MCSA Windows Server 2012 Going Live on 17th Sep 2012

I was checking on the MS Website and found that the 70-417 is going live on 17th September 2012.
Exam 70-417 is an upgrade exam that is a composite of three stand-alone exams: 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412. Exam 70-417 validates skills related to the core technology features and functionality of Windows Server 2012, from the existing knowledge base of a Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) on Windows Server 2008. The topics from each source exam, plus the percentage of material per topic for each exam component, are noted in the following lists.
Exam 70-410: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012
  • Install and Configure Servers (25%)
  • Configure Server Roles and Features (24%)
  • Configure Hyper-V (25%)
  • Install and Administer Active Directory (26%)

Exam 70-411: Administering Windows Server 2012
  • Deploy, Manage, and Maintain Servers (20%)
  • Configure Network Services and Access (20%)
  • Configure a Network Policy Server Infrastructure (17%)
  • Configure and Manage Active Directory (22%)
  • Configure and Manage Group Policy (21%)

Exam 70-412: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 Services
  • Configure and Manage High Availability (20%)
  • Configure File and Storage Solutions (19%)
  • Implement Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (22%)
  • Configure Network Services (21%)
  • Configure Identity and Access Solutions (18%)
Sounds like a beast of an exam but MS has the second shot offer going on. Anyone game for first day first show? icon_twisted.gif
I am still thinking about it....
[h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]

Comments

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That IS going to be a big hefty beast! Sounds like 70-649's bigger badder brother.

I'm not game for an MS cert upgrades, took me a year to get through the 4 MCITP: EA tests. I'll only take an MS exam next when absolutely needed. The MCITP cred I have next to my name will keep me past the HR filters for a good 2-3 years. By then Windows Server 2029 will be out, or whatever they'll call it next. Grrrr...
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    Essendon wrote: »
    The MCITP cred I have next to my name will keep me past the HR filters for a good 2-3 years. By then Windows Server 2029 will be out, or whatever they'll call it next. Grrrr...

Not as much as MCSE will, I guess you got the free MCSA 2008? put that on the CV too.
  • kemar1014kemar1014 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will be doing this next year
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm really thinking of skipping this one. I think my organization is going to skip 2012. It's not that we don't like 2012, but by the time we've justified bringing it in the next version will be out. We'll be heavily 2008 R2 and 2003. I'd rather focus on my degree and eventually CISSP.

It definitely looks like way more material than 70-648 was. I appreciate that it's only a one-test upgrade, but it's a lot of material to justify learning when it's a reasonable guess that we'll have a new server OS within four years.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • netsysllcnetsysllc Member Posts: 479 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am thinking about doing this one. and to Ptilsen, getting rid of 2003 is enough reason to go to 2012.
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Well the way its going its going 2012 may be better then its predecessors unlike Win 8 which has had a lukewarm response. The primary reason I think so is because its geared towards Virtualization. MS has taken a lot of pains to get its act together in the Hyper V 3.0 and that will benefit 2012. In today's changing IT scenario the only thing constant is cost saving and virtualization is the only way to go. Currently VMWare is leading but the vRAM pricing fiasco set them back and gave a chance for MS to slip in.
    I guess we can wait and watch but I believe 2012 with System Center 2012 will be the way forward
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    I received a free Microsoft Exam take for a new 2012 product, 70-417 seemed to be the easiest way to go, I'd like to move away from Server Administration type jobs, but having an MCSA 2012 will at least keep me up to date.

maybe later down the track I will upgrade to an MCSE but I don't feel like it now, I would rather study Non Microsoft material for a while.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    Yup this will be a beast. Think I may just work my way through the separate exams.
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Its in queue, still getting my VMware game on!!! After that 417 next