Taking the A+ at WGU...

DaaxDaax Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm going to be (hopefully) enrolled at WGU soon for the November semester. I was planning on getting some materials to start studying up for the A+ (just in case they tell me I need at least 1 cert before acceptance). I noticed that the new 8** series will be out soon. All of WGU's resource still show that they use the 220-701 and 220-702 exams and study material. Am I safe to assume that they will be using the 8** series exams by the time I'll be able to take the exams? I am just really bored right now and Amazon has some nice prices on the 202-801/202-802 books and I figured since I'll be taking the tests anyways, any bit of help won't hurt.

thanks!!

~Daax~

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think they would accept it, ask your enrollment counselor.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • tomoholtomohol Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been wondering about this, too. I'm in the very same situation. Hopefully someone knows.

As a side note, I called CompTIA customer support today and they said they're tentatively set to make the 220-801,2 exams available on this Tuesday, Oct. 9. So it just depends on how on-the-ball WGU will be.
    Education
    Expect to begin WGU: BS IT: concentration undecided in Dec 2012.
    In progress: A+ (2012 edition).
    Complete: 3 semesters of underclass undergrad.
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    I am about to take the 702 - tomorrow actually. I wanted to take the 800 version but was told that I had to take the 700 version and that WGU would not update to the new version until Labsim updated their modules for the test. The 700 series is not due to expire until August 2013. I do think your enrollment counselor would accept the 800 version, does not hurt to ask, but as for a voucher for the 800 version from WGU, I do not think that will happen until the curriculum is updated.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    In the same boat as well, hopefully they are on the ball...
  • tomoholtomohol Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Krones wrote: »
    as for a voucher for the 800 version from WGU, I do not think that will happen until the curriculum is updated.

More speculative fuel for the fire:

One website selling discount vouchers said that their vouchers are currently valid for both the 700-series exams and 800-series ones (once they come out). It's one thing for WGU not to offer study material for the 800-series exams. It's another thing for them to provide you with a generic A+ voucher and mandate that you take an outdated exam (i.e., prohibiting you from validating your Win7 and mobile device experience and mandating that you study outdated technology such as parallel ports and Win9x -> XP upgrade paths). So long as you take the test at a WGU-sponsored facility and take responsibility for studying the 800-series material without support from WGU, I don't see how they could justify restricting you on this.

We really need to hear it from the horse's mouth, so to speak. Is anyone reading this able to consult an adviser? I haven't applied yet, otherwise I would.
    Education
    Expect to begin WGU: BS IT: concentration undecided in Dec 2012.
    In progress: A+ (2012 edition).
    Complete: 3 semesters of underclass undergrad.
  • DaaxDaax Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well it looks like I will probably need to have the cert to be accepted anyway. They are saying I need more IT experience. Hopefully they will take my personal experience. Won't know till tomorrow.

~Daax~
  • DaaxDaax Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So, just found out I need the A+ to get in so the problem becomes moot. I have a study book coming in next week for the 801/802 so hopefully I can grind it out in a few weeks and get the cert. Thanks for everyone's help!

~Daax~
  • gdeusthewhizkidgdeusthewhizkid Member Posts: 289
    If i were you I would take the network+ first because it's cheaper and only one test first. That's what i did or maybe a few of the MTAs. what program are you entering...
    WGU Progress: Progress | Completed | Start Date: 9/1/2012 B.S. Network Management & Design
    Courses Transferred in: BBC1 LAE1 QBT1 IWC1 IWT1 DHV1 CSV1 CWV1 CRV1 DEV1 - 28 cu :roll:
    Down: AXV1 CPV1 WFV1 CLC1

Technical Diploma from Lincoln Tech.
  • MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat as you. I decided I wanted to enroll with WGU and called to ask a few questions. Found out you have to have some sort of previous experience and told the easiest would just be to get my A+. So I've been self studying and will probably take it in a little over a week or so.

The reason I'm making this post though is that one of the times I called to ask some questions I was told by the enrollment counselor I spoke with that I could actually start the application process in the weeks leading to taking the certification exams and start getting some of the enrollment process knocked out so I can start sooner. Something to keep in mind.

Now to make a post in the referral thread on the other board to try to get my application fee waived.
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Daax wrote: »
    Am I safe to assume that they will be using the 8** series exams by the time I'll be able to take the exams?

The materials they use is partially dependent on the ending date of the course/track. As Krones mentioned, CompTIA is keeping 701/702 available until August 31, 2013. They're doing this specifically for schools so that the schools can plan their tracks with available training materials.

If you're going for the 801/802, make sure you plan for the performance based questions. CompTIA Performance Based Testing.

Good luck.