Doubt.....

besh6274besh6274 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
i'm new to CCNP, hence i feel i'm lost somewhere in the space, i have some doubt in my mind.... any kind sould can help to give me some suggestion/advices/opinion?

1.) I've got my CCNA passed on august 2005 by self study (1st attempt), will it be any problem for me for doing CCNP by self studies?

2.) Which reference book is the best? CISCO PRESS (which is 3-4 book in 1 box ?)

3.) What sequense for me to take the test ? e.g : BCRAN -> CIT then ... ?

4.) Eventhough i've got my CCNA, but i dun even have a job yet which related to CCNA, so, will it be looks awful if i have CCNP in my resume if i dun even have experience in CCNA?

5.) Compare in between, CISSP VS CCNP, which is more feasible for a newbie like me which without any CISCO working experience to find a job?

Comments

• keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    besh6274 wrote:
    i'm new to CCNP, hence i feel i'm lost somewhere in the space, i have some doubt in my mind.... any kind sould can help to give me some suggestion/advices/opinion?

1.) I've got my CCNA passed on august 2005 by self study (1st attempt), will it be any problem for me for doing CCNP by self studies?

2.) Which reference book is the best? CISCO PRESS (which is 3-4 book in 1 box ?)

4.) Eventhough i've got my CCNA, but i dun even have a job yet which related to CCNA, so, will it be looks awful if i have CCNP in my resume if i dun even have experience in CCNA?

5.) Compare in between, CISSP VS CCNP, which is more feasible for a newbie like me which without any CISCO working experience to find a job?

I can only help you with number 5 on your list. CISSP+Newbie=possible suicide.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_lol.gif keatron

ok, heres the deal you can go in any order but most recommend taking the routing or switching test first..

with no actual working experience you will have to subtitute with labs .. very hard labs( this still doesn't meet actual experience but will provide great understandings which will transfer to real world for the most part)

everyone recommends cisco press books.. get some cbts too
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    besh6274 wrote:

1. No problem -- if you are motivted. I did the Cisco Academy for CCNA, and then did self-study from there.

2. The boxed set of exam certification guides (and the practice test) are your final review and prep for the exam -- There is also the Self-Study titles for each exam (not the exam cert guide) which are the main source of learning. There is also the Practical Studies books for the hands on stuff. The Cisco Press Flash Cards/Practice exams are also useful -- as are the reference sheet pdf files on the cd. Oh -- the CIT exam only has an exam cert guide and practical studies book -- the main content is in the books for the other 3 exams.

I also used the Sybex CCNP Complete Study Guide to fill in for one of the sub-standard Cisco Press books.

3. CIT -- Troubleshooting last. While studying for the first 3 exams take notes for the CIT exam -- if its troubleshooting related, put it in yout CIT notes. Otherwise its your choice -- but BSCI might make more sense first, followed by BCMSN, and then BCRAN -- with CIT last.

4. The CCNP should take a little bit of time -- so a job and experience should be your number 1 priority -- but studying should be your #2 priority. You're a new CCNA... but you're starting to study for the CCNP -- so that will give you a slight edge over other new CCNAs for a job.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    I agree with most of the answers so far...but, here is my input:

If you decide to start the NP track, you better be motivated. You will be taking 4 tests, that in my opinion, are each harder than the CCNA. But, even though they get pretty in depth, at least they focus in one area. If you really want a kick between the legs as a newb, take the composite exam. icon_wink.gif

Here is the order I took the exams:

Routing
    Switching
    Remote Access
    CIT

My reasoning was this....each build on the one before. Switching...you will have to understand routing between VLANS, routing protocols that can run on multilayer switches...and so on. At least, that is what I was thinking. That is why I took routing first. CIT needs to be last, since you will hit topics on all the tests before.

With no experience, you need to get your hands on the equipment for some labs. It is one thing to read about it.......it is something totally different to configure it. This also helps drive the topics into your brain. If you don't have access to the equipment needed, check out some of the online rack rentals like Internetwork Expert or Proctorlabs.

As far as books.....I use CiscoPress and Sybex both, for every Cisco exam. The book sets are ok, if you plan on knocking it out as quick as possible. Don't make the mistake I made with the CCSP. I bought the book set and sat on a few exams. They ended up changing the exam content before I finished and I had to spend more money for new books.

As far as your resume goes.....Remember, when you put it on monster or sites like that, they search it for "key" words. If you have a CCNP, you will most likely get more hits. More hits can lead to more interviews. But, be prepared to answer the experience question in an interview. And don't shoot for the stars when looking for a job, just because you have a CCNP. If you do land a job like that, you can easily get in over your head, fast.

CISSP vs CCNP...haha....no matter which one you choose you will probably be ready to jump off the roof at one point or another. Both will take a while to study for and both certs will cost you around the same amount of money. Cisco tests can be taken just about anywhere at anytime; the CISSP has to be scheduled...usually around 1 test a month, but you may have to travel to take it. If you do pass the CISSP, you will not be considered a "full" CISSP, until you meet the experience requirements. With the CISSP, you also have to do maintenance on the cert....meaning, you have to earn so many continuing education credits to keep it and pay a yearly due. It is all worth it....but it something you need to think about before heading in that direction.

Whichever direction you decide to go, these forums can help you in your studies.

Good luck..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • CertsPlzCertsPlz Inactive Imported Users Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    great info guys helps alot icon_thumright.gif
    formerly badboyziggy