Options

Mta server fundamentals exam

darrengoldsmithdarrengoldsmith Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
WOW read that the MTA server exam is going to be open to the general public at the end of the year. Im not in the industry but belive it would be a good way to start. I have other certs but no server. Im i guessing that the exam is based on Windows server 2008 R2 and when the server 8 is released it will be based on that technology?. Does anyone know ????

I have :
A+
N+
Server+
Security+
MCP
MCDST

currently studying :
MCITP win7 desktop tech

Future exam:
Cloud essentials
CWTS
MTA server fundamentals
Exchange server configuration
Win 8

This should be enough to turn a hobby into a career???

Comments

• Options
    joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would skip the server fundamentals and go straight for the MCITP or MCSA 2008.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Absolutely agree with joehalford01. You have too much entry level stuff. The MTA will bring absolutely nothing to the table, so basically zero ROI. Time to aim higher. What are you mid-term goals? Systems Admin? If Microsoft is your thing you should be looking at least at the MCSA. If networking is your thing the you should start looking at CCNA.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    darrengoldsmith, good to see someone else on these forums who is not yet working in the IT field.

The MTA exams are already available to the public - just buy a voucher from Certiport or another vendor and do the test at a Certiport-approved center - it's just semantics on Microsoft's part - they probably mean that it will become available soon through Prometric.

I agree with the other posters that you don't really need to do any MTA exams - they are pretty basic for your level. To get a decent Windows server certification, do the MCSA Windows Server 2008 exams. As cyberguypr advised, try to get the CCNA as well.

I see you have been a member of these forums since 2004, so if you are in the US you probably have already considered enrolling in WGU. Your qualifications would fit in well with any of the BS-IT programs offered by the college. Knocking out a few MTA's prior to enrollment in WGU just to get inexpensive credits would not be a bad idea (of course you could always knock them out quickly after enrollment).

Anyway, luck with getting into the IT field! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    darrengoldsmithdarrengoldsmith Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for your thoughts.
    even if i do the 70-410 exam alone it would be better than the MTA server exam.
  • Options
    Ramskie88Ramskie88 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi good pm do you have video tutorial for windows 2008 server configuration ... ?
  • Options
    horusthesunhorusthesun Member Posts: 289
    CBT nuggets have some $ 99 for sub