My WGU Journey

I can't believe it, only 2 out of 4 classes left (capstone and giac) this term with it ending jan of next yr. I swear, there were so many times where I looked at things like I have no idea what I am going to do or write yet I get a tidbit, just start and surprisingly do well lol. I seriously can't believe I'm almost on my way to getting my masters degree. Have you ever had that feeling where everyone around you knows how capable you are, yet you see this big mountain that you have to climb sometimes without the tools so you improvise? Sorry yall I'm rambling but so excited! Now, for the capstone, I think I've been worried (as usual) about that for like a year and now its finally here hahaha.

Welp back to icon_study.gif

Have a nice weekend peeps!

Comments

• ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I'm just about there myself... 5 courses to go, my first term ends at the end of Oct.

Which CHFI did you do? That's what I'm working on right now, curious on how good the provided material really is... CEH I didn't really use much of it as I've played with most of that stuff for years. This will be the last class for me this term, my company reimburses me 1/3 (ie about 1000) per class for the first 3... figured I'll just unofficially work on the next course and get that money back faster (I expect the capstone to take a little while).
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    That's awesome good luck I'm just starting my WGU journey, I have my intake interview Monday finally hopefully start Nov 1, I have a TON of work to do only transferring in a few certs and no other college credits but these kinds of threads keep my goals in site.
  • Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Valsacar wrote: »
    I'm just about there myself... 5 courses to go, my first term ends at the end of Oct.

Which CHFI did you do? That's what I'm working on right now, curious on how good the provided material really is... CEH I didn't really use much of it as I've played with most of that stuff for years. This will be the last class for me this term, my company reimburses me 1/3 (ie about 1000) per class for the first 3... figured I'll just unofficially work on the next course and get that money back faster (I expect the capstone to take a little while).
    Hi there! I did v4. The changes UCertify have made recently are good ones however I usually look for material (if available) outside of what wgu offers in addition with a max of 3 resources. At the time I was taking it, I only had a month to cram all of that information in but Ucertify did cover a good portion of that exam. Hah, I wish my company reimbursed me but its worth the expense!

Nosoup4u (hahaha loving the name)
    Thanks! If you can get some items transferred in then you are in good shape too. Try to accelerate your classes as much as you possibly can and stick to your goals. I notice people will try to say what direction to go monetary wise (degree or certs) but I think that both are important. This masters was a personal choice/achievement I have always thought of doing and now I'm almost done. So it's nice to see other people taking the opportunity to learn and improve themselves. Keep your eyes on the prize soup!
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Early congrats, Agent47 and Valsacar! I hope to follow in your exemplary footsteps.
    nosoup4u - you and I are in the same boat - transferring only certs - I just completed my intake interview a few days ago and I start on Nov 1 - so good luck to you! icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • 101010101010 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I plan on starting in November as well :)
    2017 Goals:
    [x] GCIH

"Well if you're going to have delusions of grandeur, may as well go for the really satisfying ones." - Marcus, Babylon 5
  • fslima0fslima0 Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I plan on starting sometime next year. can anyone give a referral? I am getting an AAS Network Administrator and Support degree from a CC and I already am CCNA... how many classes do you think i will have to take at WGU? Thanks
    Current Goals: CCNP and RHCSA
  • powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,665 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a good feeling when you realize that you are making it through a daunting task for which you have even had your own doubts. I remember during my undergrad, I had to take finance and the class was difficult to schedule for someone only taking courses in the evenings. My (private) university had a very nice evening rate that was comparable to our good state universities' rates... but if you took even one credit hour during the day, you paid the day rate for all credit hours that term. So, finance was only offered in the evening one term per year and they cancelled the one I was signed up for. I tried asking if I could take the graduate school course (as they had a special program where undergrads could take the grad course instead and earn dual credit, but I wasn't in that program) but that fell through. I nearly transferred to another school when I only needed 14 more credit hours... which would have required me to get 30 credits at the new school. In the end, I toughed it out and made it through. That was some trial for me.

I have had that experience with nearly all of my grad courses. The last two weeks, I had bronchitis that developed into pneumonia and then got a sinus infection on top of it. I was feeling horrible and was put on rx cough suppressant and decongestant that knocked me out. It was a trying time because I could barely stay awake for an hour at a time and my Internet wasn't working... staying on hold with some guy named Joe with a voice that doesn't match while feeling my heart beat in my temples was not on my short-list of things to accomplish. In the end, I got my paper written (worth 25% of my grade). Another trial. I will be a third of the way through this semester at midnight... it is really going to happen.

When you can see the light and get that renewed confidence, it really is uplifting.

Best wishes and always look for the small victories to get you back on track.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    Congrats man! Any idea what you are going to do your capstone on? I'm a ways away from mine, but am always thinking about ideas. Right now I'm leaning towards making a security vulnerability app.
    Never stop learning.
  • Agent47Agent47 Member Posts: 103
    Thanks Ivanjam! Good luck to you as well! Powerfool, you just gave me the motivation I needed to try and tackle this capstone! Those are some serious obstacles but what amazing drive you have! Thank you for sharing your story and congratulations on your accomplishments! Right now, I am modeling my capstone idea around Internal Organization Security & Training Implementation. Whiteout, sounds like your headed in the right direction. Try to jot down as many ideas and resources because I know it will help in the long run. In fact, there is a capsone model archive with previous projects which is a plus but I don't remember if its unavailable until you reach that class.