Review of Deborah Boyd JNCIE SP Secrets to Acing

spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
I bought this book believing it would be similar to Your CCIE Lab Strategy by Bahizad and Tiwari.

First, the book has some serious grammatical and spelling errors. It would appear it wasn't submitted to a competent English copy editor. These errors make the reading experience difficult to "flow" through.

Most importantly, the book has practically 0 information on how to effectively prepare for the JNCIE SP examination. Instead of recommending an effective strategy like recommending reading material or courseware, labbinng options such as Olive, JUNOSPHERE or real equipment, boot camps, workbooks, etc, it just discussed general test taking strategies. The book doesn't describe the test experience or what the test is.

Instead we get a history of Juniper (with bad grammar and clarity issues), network engineer positions in Nevada, how to look for jobs, applying for a job, interview tips, etc. All this information is available on the Internet via self help articles, reducing the value of this book further.

Despite being a short read, the book has little substance.

The publisher has an offer to give a free ebook if you write a review on Amazon; however, if the rest of their catalog is similar quality than I'll decline the offer.

I spent $60 on this book and their JNCIA book and feel the money could've been better served purchasing JUNOSPHERE access for $50.

Comments

• MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Thanks for the info
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Geez, that does sound like a horrible book, and it's none too cheap on Amazon. I think I saw that it was discounted to 30 bucks, but even at that price it doesn't sound like it's worth it.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yeah, I feel even worse because I bought the JNCIA book too, thinking they were going to give me valuable insight and tips from a third party. Instead I was robbed. Easily the worst cert book I've bought.