Security+ vs SSCP

nithyavisnithyavis Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi,

i have been debating between SSCP and SEcurity+ for sometime now. havent been able to decide on one to start with.

what do you think will be a good one to start with?

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Unless you have a year experience in the security field (which is a requirement for the SSCP cert), Security+ is definitely the best option to start with.
  • nithyavisnithyavis Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    Unless you have a year experience in the security field (which is a requirement for the SSCP cert), Security+ is definitely the best option to start with.

thanx... i have been in this field for less than a year. i am a certified BS7799 Lead Auditor. my experience is mostly in auditing of processes and procedures for secure practices. having this background and walking towards more technical arena is when my debate starts.
  • HHHTheGameHHHTheGame Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To make it easier on yourself, get your feet wet with Security+.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    The sec+ is by far easier, chearper, and is for life.

The SSCP requires 1 year experience, is about twice as expensive and requires upkeep like the CISSP.

I did well on the security+ and didnt study very long, but i fear SSCP/CISSP
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I concur with the previous posts. Get Security+ first. You'll thank us later. icon_wink.gif
    thanks alot for all ur suggestions. i guess end of day i will make my mind to give sec+ first and then probably in three or four months give SSCP.

any suggestions on how to start with the preparations?
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nithyavis wrote:
    thanks alot for all ur suggestions. i guess end of day i will make my mind to give sec+ first and then probably in three or four months give SSCP.

any suggestions on how to start with the preparations?

As far as where to start, you're at the best place in the world to do that. If you read through the posts in the Security+ forum, you'll find some good reference books. The Sybex publication seems to be popular these days.

Go to this link. http://www.comptia.org/certification/Security/objectives.aspx?sent=1

Click the link titled Security+ Objectives. It will tell you exactly what concepts, terminology, and technologies you'll be expected to know.
    Congrats on stepping up to the challenge. And good luck.

Keatron.
    Congrats on stepping up to the challenge. And good luck.

Keatron.

Thanks Keatron.