Options

Studying Software Before Hardware, Good or Bad

paulmoranpaulmoran Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Just wondering if there are disadvantages to studying the software section of A+ certification before the hardware section. Is it a prerequisite to study the hardware section because many things i learned there will be referred to in the software section or are they not related much.

Also should i also then be able to troubleshoot most software issues without the hardware knowledge (assuming i studied hard)im using mike meyers book for studying if that makes any difference and i like to start troubleshooting software issues while studying the hardware section to build up my on the job knowledge so to speak, because id imagine that the software end of things will be more prevelant when fixing home users computers.

Just in case anyone's not familiar with the a+ cert its basically a pc repair course, the hardware section comes first in the study bookconfused.png

Lastly i have a decent amount of self taught knowledge on software (i can set up mail accounts,know alot of the advanced tools in explorer/firefox, can remove complicated viruses, can reinstall windows, have knoweldge of 95/98/2000/xp, can set up boradband/wireless broadband,know very basic network knowledge etc etc) How long can the average person with a similar amount of knowledge expect to take to study the software section.

And i have little knowledge on the hardware (ive replaced a hard disc and memory a couple of times without any problem, thats it) So long would a novice expect to take to complete that section.

Hours would be the best answers because 4 months could mean 1 hour a day for 4 months or 8 hours a day for 4 months.

Thanks and i hope i didnt ask too many questions all at once

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Quite a bit in your post and as a simple reply, I'd suggest reviewing CompTIA's Objectives - that will let you know what you need to know.

Onward!
    paulmoran wrote:
    Hi,

Just wondering if there are disadvantages to studying the software section of A+ certification before the hardware section. Is it a prerequisite to study the hardware section because many things i learned there will be referred to in the software section or are they not related much.

I took mine together (back-to-back). So I really see no reason to take one test and then schedule the other at a later date. Hardware and Software are used together and (IMO) should be tested as such. HOWEVER, many people want to take one test and then the other and it is perfectly fine to do that.

It doesn't matter which you take first or second, only that you need to pass both to claim A+.
    Also should i also then be able to troubleshoot most software issues without the hardware knowledge (assuming i studied hard)im using mike meyers book for studying if that makes any difference and i like to start troubleshooting software issues while studying the hardware section to build up my on the job knowledge so to speak, because id imagine that the software end of things will be more prevelant when fixing home users computers.

The ideal candidate (per CompTIA's site) is a technician with 500 hours in the field. So, yes, knowing something about both hardware and software prior to each exam is a plus.
    Just in case anyone's not familiar with the a+ cert its basically a pc repair course, the hardware section comes first in the study bookconfused.png

??? Are you asking or telling? As far as the book is concerned, it's the Publishers preference. What you need to knw can be found in the objectives as mentioned above.
    Lastly i have a decent amount of self taught knowledge on software (i can set up mail accounts,know alot of the advanced tools in explorer/firefox, can remove complicated viruses, can reinstall windows, have knoweldge of 95/98/2000/xp, can set up boradband/wireless broadband,know very basic network knowledge etc etc) How long can the average person with a similar amount of knowledge expect to take to study the software section.
    Hard to say 'how long'? Depends on how quick a study you are, how well you can demonstrate what you know, and the experience you have.
    And i have little knowledge on the hardware (ive replaced a hard disc and memory a couple of times without any problem, thats it) So long would a novice expect to take to complete that section.
    You'll want to have more (IMO), though others are able to read things and retain them. There is a good deal of information that is needed by a technician and the more experience you have, the easier things come to you when you are tested.
    Hours would be the best answers because 4 months could mean 1 hour a day for 4 months or 8 hours a day for 4 months.

I have a first edition Meyers book and way back then he provided an approximate study timeline, perhaps his current book does as well?? Check that, otherwise, review the objectives from CompTIA, check out the TECHNOTES on this site and that should help get you in the right direction.
    Thanks and i hope i didnt ask too many questions all at once
    You are welcome.

HTH
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    paulmoranpaulmoran Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply, answered all my questions as best i could have hoped. Thanks for taking the time.