640-544 Books

mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
Most people are posting books in regards to the old exam. What is the best book for 640-544. Is it the cert guide below?
Thank you

CCNA Security 640-554 Official Cert Guide (Official Certificate Guide): Keith Barker,Scott Morris: 9781587204463: Amazon.com: Books

Comments

• Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    If I understand correctly I think that the Cisco press book is the best choice, if not the only choice.

There is this book also.
    http://www.ciscopress.com/store/implementing-cisco-ios-network-security-iins-640-554-9781587142727
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah. Once you get out of the CCNA:R+S area, the amount of material drops off significantly. Cisco Press, that's it.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    I see the book is not suppose to be release until nov 20th on the cisco press website? What are people using to study now?
  • SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security course from Cisco Netacad.
    http://bit.ly/RqIQZt
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    One is the official certification guide (by Morris and Barker) that is used by a candidate who wishes to strictly study for certification test. The Foundation Learning Guide also align to the exam objectives but less so. Whereas the cert guide is taking the test objectives and making a book based on it, the foundation learning guide is kind of also providing more detail and filing holes that might be missed by a cert guide. For their associate exams and the CCNP R&S, Cisco publishes both a regular cert guide and a foundation learning guide written by two different authors. The FLGs take a lot longer to read through but if you're coming with 0 knowledge, they're good. But could be considered supplemental reading if you don't have the actual exam objectives, the cert guide or say a BOSON practice test to help indicate what your weak areas are.
  • spiderjerichospiderjericho Registered Users, Member Posts: 890 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'm looking through the CCNA Security FLG on Safari and it really is more in detailed.

The first chapter goes over the importance of security as it relates to businesses, the government, etc.

For her references, she uses the Harris CISSP book, Hacking Exposed, NIST references and several web resources. Again, a lot different than your normal exam objectives. Barker and Morris' (from the little I've looked at their guide) don't go into this type of detail. I will say it's good from a real-world perspective.

Paquet has a Federal Government background.
  • mobri09mobri09 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 723
    That's what I was looking for. Thank you spider! Cert guide it is :)
  • crypticgeekcrypticgeek Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One is the official certification guide (by Morris and Barker) that is used by a candidate who wishes to strictly study for certification test. The Foundation Learning Guide also align to the exam objectives but less so. Whereas the cert guide is taking the test objectives and making a book based on it, the foundation learning guide is kind of also providing more detail and filing holes that might be missed by a cert guide. For their associate exams and the CCNP R&S, Cisco publishes both a regular cert guide and a foundation learning guide written by two different authors. The FLGs take a lot longer to read through but if you're coming with 0 knowledge, they're good. But could be considered supplemental reading if you don't have the actual exam objectives, the cert guide or say a BOSON practice test to help indicate what your weak areas are.
    I'm looking through the CCNA Security FLG on Safari and it really is more in detailed.

Thank you! I came here looking for exactly this I was confused as to how the FLG fit into the picture. Good to know the FLGs provide more detail if needed and might also help you see where your weak areas are in general though maybe not as specifically for the exam as the study guide.