Successfully passed ICND1

Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
I earned my MCTS certification a month ago, and as I returned home from the testing center, I decided to start working on Cisco's track and I'm glad I did because I actually had FUN learning the material needed for the CCENT exam. I just took the exam this afternoon and passed with a 937 :D. Learning from my experience with the Windows 7 exam, I used multiple resources:

1. CCENT for Dummies. Say what you will about the book series, but this one was a good read in terms of laying down foundational topics.
2. Todd Lammle's CCNA book; I heard that this book could be used for the CCENT by only studying certain chapters, so I did.
3. CBT Nuggets; I have to hand it to Jeremy Cioara, you don't get bored watching him teach.
4. Chris Bryant's ICND1 course; I used this as my final review and I'm glad I did because he covered a few topics in detail that my other sources only glanced over.
5. LABS; for that entire month, I spent a good 3-4 hours a day doing labs. Read a chapter in a book? Did it in a lab. Watched a video? Labbed as they did it on screen. As much as I like Packet Tracer, there's no substitute for working with the real gear.

As far as what's next? CCNA :); I perused over those chapters in Lammle's book and I have to say, it looks challenging.........but oh so enticing at the same time.
11/29/12: Begin CCNP ROUTE.

Comments

• RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice job man! Whens the ICND2?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Congratulations!!!
    Nice score.
    Keep up the good work.
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    Congrats man. I'm going to take your advice and use the material which you have used towards sitting ICND1 too!
  • Iceman25kIceman25k Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Nice job man! Whens the ICND2?

I'm thinking about scheduling it for December; I want to purchase one more router and switch to fully prepare myself, and getting my CCNA before year's end would be a nice Christmas gift to myself icon_wink.gif.
  • MrBrianMrBrian Member Posts: 520
    Big congrats man and nice score! Keep up the momentum and knock out that ICND2!!
    Currently reading: Internet Routing Architectures by Halabi
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Wait. You have a Lab... and you didn't show us the goods.

I thought we were friends, Iceman.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats, Iceman25k, and great score! Good luck on the ICND2!icon_thumright.gif
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Wait. You have a Lab... and you didn't show us the goods.

I thought we were friends, Iceman.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/15235-post-your-lab-pics-21.html

Post #1007. My long term goal is to have that rack filled with equipment icon_smile.gif
  • jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Congratulations on your pass and a FANTASTIC score!
  • IllumanatiIllumanati Banned Posts: 211 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Iceman25k wrote: »
    I earned my MCTS certification a month ago, and as I returned home from the testing center, I decided to start working on Cisco's track and I'm glad I did because I actually had FUN learning the material needed for the CCENT exam. I just took the exam this afternoon and passed with a 937 :D. Learning from my experience with the Windows 7 exam, I used multiple resources:

1. CCENT for Dummies. Say what you will about the book series, but this one was a good read in terms of laying down foundational topics.
    2. Todd Lammle's CCNA book; I heard that this book could be used for the CCENT by only studying certain chapters, so I did.
    3. CBT Nuggets; I have to hand it to Jeremy Cioara, you don't get bored watching him teach.
    4. Chris Bryant's ICND1 course; I used this as my final review and I'm glad I did because he covered a few topics in detail that my other sources only glanced over.
    5. LABS; for that entire month, I spent a good 3-4 hours a day doing labs. Read a chapter in a book? Did it in a lab. Watched a video? Labbed as they did it on screen. As much as I like Packet Tracer, there's no substitute for working with the real gear.

As far as what's next? CCNA :); I perused over those chapters in Lammle's book and I have to say, it looks challenging.........but oh so enticing at the same time.

Good job, lots of resources so you really mastered it! If i want to simply pass the test instead of going above and beyond, can i use the Dummies CCENT, "some labs" to get it done? Specify some labs.
  • LamplightLamplight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good job! Congrats :)
    Working On: eCPPT
  • Michael2Michael2 Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did you find the test difficult or challenging?
    Michael2 wrote: »
    Did you find the test difficult or challenging?

With the level of preparation I had going into it, I didn't find it that hard, but there were a couple questions (I won't specify what they were about) that made me scratch my head for a few minutes, but then the light bulb turned on and I realized what they were asking for; I love moments like that on exams.
  • palitpalit Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    What are the chapters from lammle for ICND1?Please let us know
  • gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ditto...
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Patel128Patel128 Member Posts: 339
    If it is the 7th edition then this should apply

ICND1 exam, study these chapters:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16

ICND2 exam, study these chapters:
    5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

My post from another thread about the Lammle book.
    Studying For:
    B.S. in Computer Science at University of Memphis
    Network+
    Currently Reading:
    CompTIA Network+ Study Guide - Lammle
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63