OSPF TCP/Ip vols 1

and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hiya, A quick question for those in the know. In Doyle's excellent TCP/IP vol 1 book he says that the the OSPF process reads the network statement sequentially, so it is important to get the statement in the correct order. I've just tried this on a switch (3560) and as I add an out of order network statement the IOS re-orders them, kind of contrdicting what doyle has said. Is this due to running on a later version? ?

Cheers Andy
Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013

Comments

• ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I don't think Doyle is wrong. Maybe IOS re-orders OSPF network statements that you put. But in the end, OSPF treats them in the order in which IOS re-ordered them :)
  • and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm not questioning doyle, more a change since it was written. He highlighted a point in a config and troubleshooting section concerning this possible problem. So at some time itwas relevent.. I'm just trying to find out when it changed... is it still relevent

Ta

Andy
    Studying CCIE R&S

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm not sure exactly what IOS release it was changed in, but you are correct. Older versions of IOS left it as you put in and newer versions it re-orders to put the most specific at the top.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the confirmation
    Studying CCIE R&S