Passed ITIL 2012

MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
I did my ITIL exam via ISEB and passed with a score of 90%. I am pleased but it was a very easy exam and I didn't put much effort into it. I just studied enough to pass and didn't feel it was worthy of any serious consideration or worry. Before I took the exam, I was deliberating over whether I should or not but in the end I did because a lot of companies support this.

Although I passed I want to give my opinion of ITIL here and now. ITIL is a load of bull ****. It is an over priced, over hyped certification which many companies are now supporting or pushing. It basically is just common sense but it seems like a group of managers with nothing better to do came up with ITIL in order to make themselves look really important. Terms like supplier management, service portfolio, service catalogue are overly verbose and superfluous. Sadly many companies are becoming like this these days and it is the ITIL champions that are one of the causes for it.

ITIL exams requires no intelligence or technical skills to pass and this is why you find many management/HR/non technical service desk types are pushing this cert and feel they have accomplished a great deal when they call themselves an ITIL practitioner and they actually believe because they have an ITIL they are technically equipped to deal with issues when in reality they probably don't even know the difference between a northbridge and southbridge chip. My other half told me an amusing story a few months ago where she had visited a big company which worked for the local council. She visited the IT department and was greeted by a woman who proudly announced to my wife that "I am am ITIL Practitioner" but it soon became clear that this woman didn't know anything else. My wife thought "yeah you might be but you being in the IT department is akin to seeing a Tiger shopping at Holland Barrett".

If you enjoy memorising lots of phrases, useless acronyms and think ITIL is the saviour of the world then this is for you. I actually feel nauseated contemplating putting it on my CV in future but we all have to sometimes do a quasi reenactment of the "Seven Beauties"
I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.

Comments

• al3kt.R***al3kt.R*** Member Posts: 118
    Congrats for your success and thank you for your personal insight on this very trendy cert I haven't got the pleasure of studying & "owning" yet.
    "Tigranes: Good heavens! Mardonius, what kind of men have brought us to fight against? Men who do not compete for possessions, but for honour."--- Herodotus, The Histories
    "Nipson anomemata me monan opsin"--- Gregory of Nazianzus
    "Bruce Schneier's secure handshake is so strong, you won't be able to exchange keys with anyone else for days."--- Bruce Schneier Facts
  • MrXpertMrXpert Member Posts: 586 ■■■□□□□□□□
    al3kt.R*** wrote: »
    Congrats for your success and thank you for your personal insight on this very trendy cert I haven't got the pleasure of studying & "owning" yet.

Lol! that's OK. Although I won't be adding it to my certs list on here as although I'm happy to pass the exam, I do not see it as a good achievement.
    I'm an Xpert at nothing apart from remembering useless information that nobody else cares about.
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    100% agree with you, it is utter bullshit.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Congrats!

I plan on getting it at some point soon because yes I see it on a lot of System admin jobs "preferred" listings
  • SettSett Member Posts: 187
    Lol. I also passed today and came here to post exactly the same thread but you already said it better then I could.
    What a load of BS this exam is. I was forced by the company to pass it but I almost felt disgusted while I was "studying" for it. Such a waste of time...
    Non-native English speaker