Options

easy language for start

lmxlmx Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
Advice -- where to start programming.

i would like to start studying a easy programming language but this has very high demand and pay good money, all my experience is in network, wireless and windows server. What do you suggest? Thanks for your multiples advices.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    If you are a Windows user then C# or Java are your best bets. And you won't find "easy" and "high paying" together in many software development job descriptions.
  • Options
    lmxlmx Member Posts: 64 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for you advice. which you think is the programming language of the future. SQL, PHP, java script, this sound hard on web.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    None of those languages are "the future." They are all very much currently used for developing many Web applications, as is C# in the ASP.NET framework.

A language that is hot right now and may have a high demand in the future is Python. Ruby is also very popular and increasing in usage.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you really want to learn an easy and highly structured language, try Pascal... but I think my advice is a few years out... so go with what JDMurray advises - he is more in touch with what is in demand nowadays.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    JayTheCrackerJayTheCracker Member Posts: 169
    php & python ?? those 2 are quite easy to learn programming languages.
    there are PHP jobs out there too :)
    python scripting will also help in some tasks for server administrating :)

i really hate java >< freaking hard! (well-paid though)
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try the Head First series of books for C#. The basics are easy and the concepts will carry over into most other languages.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    WhiteoutWhiteout Member Posts: 248
    I will second the head first books. They are a great approach to learning. They keep you entertained and wanting to learn, unlike alot of begginer programming books which are very dry.
    Never stop learning.
  • Options
    jwpjrjwpjr Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It really depends what you are attempting to do with your programming skills (once you learn them).

Do you have ANY experience programming at all?

Many people will say to start with C to learn the concepts of programming. I really think that if you are trying to find a position in programming, you don't want to take a year to learn C, then start something else and take another year to learn that.

Since most big businesses are windows environments, I will recommend two languages.

First, C#. In my opinion, C# is a lot easier to grasp for beginners than Java. A big part of this is Visual Studio. If you use Visual Studio Express to create your programs, there is a lot of "dragging and dropping" when creating forms, buttons, picture boxes, etc. So a lot of the repetitive work is done for you. Some say this is good, some say it's bad. I believe it is helpful because you can let the IDE create, say, a form and a SQL database for you. Then, you can spend your time learning which methods you need to create in order to make your form do what you want it to do. Head First C# is a great book.

Second, Powershell. If you don't know what Powershell is, it is a very powerful scripting language that was created my MS. The best part about learning Powershell, is that not many people are really doing it. I hope someone chimes in on this as well, but mastering Powershell is VERY advantageous. As the demand for this language grows, so will the jobs associated with it.

Also, I forgot to mention, Powershell is extremely easy to grasp. Every cmdlet (command let) is in a 'verb-noun' format, making it easy to remember them, for example, to print the ever popular "Hello World" to the screen, you would use:

write-host = "Hello World"

No semi colon. No case sensitivity. Pure beauty.

And the use of aliases will help you if you have experience with other languages. For example, if you want to view the directory of the folder you're in, you can surely use the powershell cmdlet:

get-childitem

or you can use

dir (cmd command)

or even

ls (linux command)

or you can create your own alias!

Powershell cookbook is a great resource. Also, you can learn a lot of powershell just by using google.

Hope this helps.