Passed SSCP

daryle7901daryle7901 Banned Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed my SSCP October 18,2012 now the long wait.

This test is very diffrent from most test i've taken Microsoft, Comptia, Cisco; would have like to see what score i got but oh well.

Comments

• Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on pass!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Contgratulations on passing your SSCP!
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • DagistoDagisto Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!!I have it planned for this friday but yesterday I got a new job....So I´ll reschedule it. Wat did you use to prepare for this exam?
  • daryle7901daryle7901 Banned Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think I over studied for this test. I kept reading other posters explain how hard it was so I read almost everything I could find; not to miss lead you; it was not an easy test but not as hard as I thought it was going to be.

I used all of the following...

CCCure.org free practice tests- Too many of the questions were simple and I remembered most of them from my Security+ studies; I don’t think they have separate questions for Sec+, SSCP or CISSP for the free questions pool.

I bought practice test 1 and 2 from https://www.isc2.org/studiscope/default.aspx. I don’t recommend anyone ever buy these unless you really want to burn $100 bucks or make yourself go crazy.

I read all of the PDF’s from the SSCP section at CCCure.org. I also don’t recommend anyone read any of this unless you want to learn 1990’s material or receive the wrong information.
    I found theses with a Google search; the second link has like 6 chapters total.
    http://www.cccure.org/Documents/SSCP/SSCP_Notes_2.0.pdf
    http://www.cccure.org/Documents/SSCP/studyguides/ISSA_-_SSCP_-_Chpt_1.pdf

I don’t like buying books so I pay the 50 bucks a month at safari books online.com which I found the following. Safari has a great video selection I watched all 7 Domains in the Shon Harris SSCP Video Course; some i watched twice. I read SSCP® Systems Security Certified Practitioner All-in-One Exam Guide by Darril Gibson twice.
    http://search.safaribooksonline.com

I also wrote my own flash cards for things I thought I was having problems understanding. Most of them were on access control types and the like.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    daryle7901 wrote: »
    I think I over studied for this test.
    Nope, not possible to do; no extra degree of studying is ever a waste. The information you learn in studying for the SSCP (or CISSP) you will need in your InfoSec career. You also now have great head start on studying for the CISSP and other InfoSec cert exams.

Remember to always go directly for the knowledge and not the paper. Learn the certification material well and the paper will naturally follow.
  • daryle7901daryle7901 Banned Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Very well said; and received.
  • DagistoDagisto Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just passed today used Darril Gibsons All-in-One SSCP guide (read it twice) and read the Cryptography, Access control and Security Operations chapter from the official SSCP CBK.

Thanks for the tip
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
  • altjxaltjx Member Posts: 194
    Congrats on the pass. I know this is an old thread, but I just absolutely had to say something since this is the book that I plan on reading.

For anyone who doesn't already know, Darril Gibson's books are extremely interesting to read. Of all of the crappy long pages of boring material I've read for my Security+ exam back in '09, his sy0-201 (at the time) was extremely straight-to-the-point and provided extremely great information. This is one author where book reviews don't even matter because I know the quality is there.

That being said, I'd buy any freaking security-related book from this guy. I'm hoping that my job has this book already in the library... otherwise, I'll be purchasing the eBook from the Google Play store tomorrow.

Again, thanks to Darril Gibson and congrats to the OP on your success.
    CompTIA: A+, Security+, Network+
    Microsoft: MCTS: Windows 7, Configuring, MCTS: Windows Server 2008 Applications Infrastructure, Configuring
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA