Just passed my A+ core hardware exam!!!

gpapagpapa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've been putting off this test for the longest, and finally I've decided to suck it up and take it. Got a 768, pretty decent score - but who cares, i passed! Now to take the OS exam.

I am currently a college student and part time IT employee, and i figured before i graduate in a few months - getting this certification will boost my chances of getting a higher salary... however does A+ still hold weight in the job market nowadays?

Comments

• PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I am currently a college student and part time IT employee, and i figured before i graduate in a few months - getting this certification will boost my chances of getting a higher salary... however does A+ still hold weight in the job market nowadays?

I don't think you'll see more money because you have this certification. You may be able to stay in the running as a candiate for a position. I suppose it depends on where you live and where you are trying to work, but A+ is a technician position, not an Network Admin position. Huge pay difference between those two spots.

Put it this way, having it won't hurt you! Just don't stop there, find what you enjoy about computers and follow that path.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    And I almost forgot!

CONGRATULATIONS :)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• gpapagpapa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    And I almost forgot!

CONGRATULATIONS :)

Thanks
  • gpapagpapa Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Plantwiz wrote:
    but A+ is a technician position, not an Network Admin position. Huge pay difference between those two spots.

I actually want to get into a Network Admin role in the future, the only reason I'm taking the A+ certification is because it is recommended to take before the Network+ exam. I figured it must be recommended for a reason... Why is it recommended?

I also want to take my CCNA exam right after i complete the Network+. Which one would hole more weight in the networking field?
    A+ can be recommended for a few reason: (recommended isn't required).
    - most people have some experience after and can pass the exam
    - gives you some practice taking exams and preparing for them. If you'll notice A+ is the lowest to pass score of all the exams.
    - Usually people are working in the field (perhaps even in college) as basic technicians and decide they want more, so they take the exam to get establish a level of knowledge within the IT field.
    - A+ combined with NET+ can be used to replace an elective for a MCSA.

IT's not a waste of your time completely, but it isn't required. I work with a number of people who have never taken it. Your choice.

Depending on the college program you are in, I'd weight that more (as an employer) than a certification. FWIW

BTW- Who recommend A+ prior to NET+? Many people chose A+ first because generally before jumping into networking, one has experience with workstations and servers. CompTIA recommends the candidate have 500 working hours, not that you need to take the exam as a prerequist to any future exam.

NET+ is still a general exam. Not a lot of weight. Again, it's good to have and can be added with your A+ to knock off an elective if you are choosing a MS path.

CCNA again is good, but is the first tier of exams.

None of the exams you mentioned are going to harm you in your career path (that I'm aware of). Keep in mind, two are vendor neurtal and show that you have a 'genera' idea of how things work. CCNA is a bit more specific.

The reason I mention some of the things above is that you can save yourself some exam time if you know what you want to work on down the road. If however you need a job as a board swapper in a computer shop until you get there....then you may find a place such as that is interested in you having an A+.

If you can intern or apprentice for someone in the IT field, it may not be necessary. Again, taking the exam won't hurt you.

You sound like you have a good plan in place moving forward. If your professors made suggestions, they likely know you and what you want to do better, so go with that.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• mystic1mystic1 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Job well done!
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki