Options

Routing question (Potentially dumbing, be carful)

Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey,

Getting ready for the ICND1 and fired up packet tracer to get familiar with the CLI (again). I had issues with something like this before, and once I got it everything clicked in place, and I had a beautiful network going on PT.

I have tried finding the info online and the fact I cant find it at all is frustrating (It can be found but class A networks).

If I have 2 routers, both connected to 1 computer each. The IP address between the router has to be on the same network, ie;

R1 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.192
R2 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.192

Right? OK. The default gateway is the network itself, so the computer on R1 would be 192.168.1.0?

I have nailed subnetting, getting to grips with basic router configuration and cdp etc. Basic routing, I dont know. My mind has gone numb.

Kai.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The default gateway is not the network address. It will be the address of the router on the local subnet.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look at it this way the default gateway is your way out of that network. Router1 would be your way out and the ip address is 192.168.1.1 that would be your default gateway for the computer on that same network.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Kai123 wrote: »
    R1 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.192
    R2 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.192

Is this the link between the routers or the networks you have the hosts on?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You need to have 3 networks in this example.
    Computer A to R1 |                 R1 to R2                 | R2 to Computer B.
       Network 1                          Network 2                    Network 3
    x.x.x.a to x.x.x.b                    a.a.a.a to a.a.a.b             c.c.c.a to c.c.c.b
    Default Route: x.x.x.b       Needs routes to all networks      Default Route: c.c.c.a
                              (Should by default since they are connected)

That help?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was really tired when I made this thread and my brain had enough.

My Missus forgot my ccna book. I was going to spend an hour studying routing and come back here and answer my own question. The other posts here help but if you knew how my mind worked you would forgive the compulsion to have to know 100% what it is rather then connecting the obvious dots.

To give a bit of clarity to my first post, I am working out that the ip address between two networks is one IP address. Before I had to set it just to have one IP address on the one link between R1 and R2 and it worked. After so long coming back to this, im confused to why it worked and why R2 did not have its own IP.

Secondly, computers have their own IP scheme but the default path would be the IP address on the connection between the two routers, and not the connection between the computer or switch? Like I said, I will go figured this out and come back here. Its like my mind wont work it out, and when it does it will be a "aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh you so stupid kai" moment.