Which 3560 switch?

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I've been looking at purchasing a 3560 for my lab. Just wondering which one I should go with?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Depends on what you need or want. Some models have POE, some have more/less ports, fiber ports etc. There are also SMI/EMI versions is the base and enhanced images. These are only software though so if you get an SMI switch you can put an EMI image on it.

Usually a base copper model without POE is fine for labs unless you are trying to power up phones.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Perfect. Thanks networker. I wasn't sure if there was a specific model needed for the exam. I had spent quite a bit of time looking on Cisco's website to see. But it looks as though it's more image specific. My company has a contract with Cisco for 3560's so I should be able to upgrade from EMI to SMI pretty easily.

Thanks again!
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The only hardware feature you would really have to take into consideration is POE. Besides that maybe port types if you want fiber.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I would go with non POE whether or not you need PoE for a future lab. Our 3560 PS switches fail a lot more than the TS models. You can always buy Power Injectors to run a few APs/Phones if you need to down the road.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    I would go with non POE whether or not you need PoE for a future lab. Our 3560 PS switches fail a lot more than the TS models. You can always buy Power Injectors to run a few APs/Phones if you need to down the road.

+1

I've read this in another thread as well.

Q. are 3550s not good enough for CCNP anymore?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have two 3550s. They mightn't have a couple of commands, but have done me well enough for me to get my CCNP recently enough.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MickQ wrote: »
    I have two 3550s. They mightn't have a couple of commands, but have done me well enough for me to get my CCNP recently enough.
    The only thing you're really missing is private Vlans, and you can just get some free rack time from packet life or whatever to practice that. The configuration is pretty straight forward.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%