Last Lab before I take the Exam

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
Ok, Im selling my UC520 and moving on to the full CUCM/Unity Connection server setup. Here is the new Lab and need to know if Im missing any thing? Taking the Exam in December but I need more seat time on the CUCM server. I use one every day at work but I never configured one from scratch. My goal is to build a Enterprise Network in my basement. The Cisco Servers are up and running and the 08R2 Servers have been funtional since my Microsoft Server Admin days.

1) Cisco 1760 with IOS c1700-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T10.bin used for voice gateway.
2) Cisco Vic2-2fxo card
3) Cisco WIC 1enet card
4) Cisco PVDM2-8 dsp
5) Cisco 3560 24 port POE switch
6) Cisco CUCM 8.6 on VMware
7) Cisco Unity Connection on VMware
8 ) 7945/7941/7911/7906 Phones.
9) 1 Server 2008R2 working as a DC/DHCP/DNS/File Server
10) 1 Server 2008R2 woring as a WDS Server.
11) Cisco WAP4410 Access point.
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What routers were you going to us to emulate the PSTN and the branch office? Also I think you might need more PVDM2 sticks.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My plans where to just set up the "Corp office" first with just dial plans to the POTS first. Looks like that will cover the basics for the CCNAV portion. Im hoping this lab will allow me to just get the phones ringing each other and have calls come in and out on a single Verizon PSTN connection for now. I think the demo version of CUCM only allows for a few Phones and 8 mailboxes on Unity Connection.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You should be fine with this equipment. The 1760 should work for your PSTN requirements, and UC and CUCMv8.6 is good. The rest is really optional until you get to CCNP:V territory (in my opinion). The PVDM sticks are also optional (I'm pretty sure) at this level as the number of simultaneous voice calls, conference calls, and video calls is pretty much 0 or 1.

The PSTN emulation question is valid, though. I always found it strange that the new CCNA:V exam topics tell you to be able to maintain infrastructure, but not to install/configure it.

Also, don't forget CUPS. They decided to throw that in there now too.

My assessment could be flawed though, I didn't take the ICOMM haha.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been taking alot of the practice exams and Im shocked that it is all about maintaining a CUCM environment and nothing about setting up the equipment. I just got the book "Configuring CUCM and UC" by David Bateman and its an awsome guid for setting up CUCM/UC. Is there any books like this for setting up the gateway portion. I thought I remember hearing about Cisco gatekeepers or something like that. After setting up my UC520 about 10 times I feel like I tapped out all I could on it. Cisco made it super easy with Cisco Configuration Assistant. I actuall learned alot from reverse engineering the running config that is built in by default on the UC520 flash. Kinda cool that if you screwup your config that you can just do a "restore factory default" command and reapply the default config and your back to square one. We have CUCM/UC at my company so its imperative that I learn the ins and outs of it. From bugging our current Voice Engineer I learned that we use mainly the 2811 as voice gateways so I may end up changing my lab to mirror our setups. 2811's and 3750 POE switches.
  • jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    For me, I flipped through Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers and it was golden. Also, if you are wanting to learn to set up an environment and not in a major rush, I would read through some of the CCNP Voice material That's what helped me out. I went through ICOMM and I felt that I needed more, so I moved on through CVOICE and half of CIPT1 before I went and took ICOMM. What I'm doing now is finishing up CIPT1 while review my notes and labbing CVOICE. I feel like I'm 85% ready to take CVOICE and around 65% ready to take CIPT1. Now only if those exams weren't $200..lol.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    2811's and 3750 POE switches.
    Eeeeh, avoid the need to mirror a corporate setup. One of each of those will throw you under several thousand dollars. Other ISR's and 3560's will do just fine.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • stlsmoorestlsmoore Member Posts: 515 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahh man I just realized you posted this on the CCNA V sub-forum and not the CCNP: V sub-forum. Yea you should be good with what you have, that branch router helped me confirm my dial-plan configurations on the gateways. Not sure how much in depth they go on this now in the newer CCNA: Voice though.
    My Cisco Blog Adventure: http://shawnmoorecisco.blogspot.com/

Don't Forget to Add me on LinkedIn!
    https://www.linkedin.com/in/shawnrmoore