Cisco 6509 problem

wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Got a 6509, with a sup2ge supervisor card. It's layer 3 capable.

First thing is, could somebody please, please explain to me why the console port connection does not take me through to the cisco IOS software, rather from the show version command and show running config it says that the image is a "sup" image?

The commandline starts with: Console> and has no configure terminal!!

I'm only a poor CCNA :'( and not clued up this much yet.

Also my clients can't get a DHCP address from our Server 2008 DHCP server? It returns the APIPA address and fails to get one! But if i configure a client manually with an IP address then it will work fine!!

Please help me out, i'ts driving me mad! I thought cisco switches were supposed to use the IOS software! :'(

ANything else you think i should know please also say.

Thanks you all in advance :)
~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese

Comments

• DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your Sup2GE is running CatOS.
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Its has an MSFC2 daughter card. I heard this can support the cisco 12.4 ios or higher?

Plus, what about my DHCP clients? I also read by default all cat5e ports are on layer 3 not layer 2.

help?
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • atorvenatorven Member Posts: 319
    Turn those layer 3 ports to layer 2 access ports and then make sure inter-vlan routing is setup(assuming your using multiple vlans) between your servers and clients.
    @atorven - I would if i knew how? I dont use CatOS icon_sad.gif
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    @atorven - I would if i knew how? I dont use CatOS icon_sad.gif

Cisco.com is your friend, they have documentation on everything. They even have documentation about their documentation. It's mind boggling.
    Just like to say i fixed this issue, it was the fact the 6509 was running the CatOS software. who knew. Followed the conversion guide and changed it to IOS 12.1

And the DHCP issue was a 2 part issue. First thing was the DHCP service on the windows server has stopped. weird. secondly was the fact that the link i was using to connect to the 6509 was running on an access port.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    Just like to say i fixed this issue, it was the fact the 6509 was running the CatOS software. who knew.
    This guy.
    DPG wrote: »
    Your Sup2GE is running CatOS.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S