Options

Windows 8 cannot use extended display

MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey all. I just upgraded my Lenovo laptop (T430) to windows 8, and I'm having a crazy time trying to get the extended display to work properly off the dock. Whenever I switch to extended, it ends up turning off hte display on the laptop itself, and the external monitor flashes on the lower part of the screen. I have updated my video drivers to the windows 8 version and can work just fine off of the laptop itself. Any advice on how to get this to work properly?

Comments

• Options
    I just noticed though, when it switches to extended, for some odd reason it decides that it switches to show display 2 only when I select extended. Trying to figure this out so I can be more productive today. :)
  • Options
    Well, I've got it able to be seen on the external display now, however I still am unable to get this to work in extended desktop mode. My laptop has a Intel HD 4000 on board video and I have downloaded and installed the driver from Lenovo directly. I've tried to get the driver from intel, however it won't allow it to be installed due to the driver not being signed. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Thanks.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    even though a driver isn't signed, you still should be able to install it?
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You should be able to modify the INF file so it works. You might even be able to replace it directly with the one included in the Lenovo package.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Well, after I had uninstalled the device completely, I was able to get the newest driver from intel to install, however still having the same issue getting it to work in extended desktop. Such a pain. Next step for me is to set up another new laptop next to me with 8 and see if I can get that to work. Same model/specs, so hopefully a fresh install will do the trick.
  • Options

This is the error message I'm getting now, messing around with it a bit.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Doesn't this also have a Geforce plus Optimus?
    http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tech-specs/laptop/thinkpad/t-series/t430/]T430 specs

You're going to need the Nvidia drivers, if so.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    That's a negative. I wish it had that Nvidia chip and not just the on board graphics.
  • Options
    Good news. I figured out what was causing this issue and it wasn't hardware related.

Always do a fresh install of Windows 8, do not do an upgrade from 7 as it will mess with a few of the settings/drivers and give you some sort of a headache. Works like a charm now and I'm pleasantly happy with 8 and how it's working now, as well as very happy with Office 2013.
  • Options
    EV42TMANEV42TMAN Member Posts: 256
    also 64bit windows requires signed drivers unless you disable it
    Current Certification Exam: ???
    Future Certifications: CCNP Route Switch, CCNA Datacenter, random vendor training.