Is This Normal?

kman69kman69 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I applied for an entry level help desk position at this small company. about a week after the corporate recruiter contacted me to setup a phone interview on the following tuesday. During the phone interview the help desk lead stated that my resume can qualify a higher position then the one i'm applying. She said she'll talk to her IT manager to see if i could be a candidate for that position. after phone interview she told me she'll have a recruiter contact me on setting up a face to face interview soon. 2 days after the interview i got an email from the recruiter stated that they have pursuit other candidate for the entry position and that they will keep my resume on their database for any future position. I went from a potential face to face interview to zero. is this a normal practice? i would prefer the interviewer tell me the true.

Comments

• IT69IT69 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Perhaps they simply found a much better qualified candidate after initially considering you for the position, use it as motivation to improve your resume with more certifications so it will not happen again. Idk if its normal, but yes that does suck .
  • Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds like you were over qualified. They won't want to hire someone they think will keep looking for work and quit right away. That in itself is not a bad thing. Drive on and you will succeed.
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    3fJ wrote: »
    Sounds like you were over qualified. They won't want to hire someone they think will keep looking for work and quit right away. That in itself is not a bad thing. Drive on and you will succeed.

I went on an interview Thursday afternoon in which I was considered overqualified for. I don't think it was me being overqualified I think the guy just wasn't looking for someone of my kind and I got that vibe as soon as I walked in his office. Funny thing is that I met with an IT manager before him and she told me to give her a call after the new year to discuss a possible opening.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    coreyb80 wrote: »
    I went on an interview Thursday afternoon in which I was considered overqualified for. I don't think it was me being overqualified I think the guy just wasn't looking for someone of my kind and I got that vibe as soon as I walked in his office. Funny thing is that I met with an IT manager before him and she told me to give her a call after the new year to discuss a possible opening.

Wat do you mean by "someone of my kind"???
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Apollo80Apollo80 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    Wat do you mean by "someone of my kind"???

I am guessing that he is referring to a feeling of age discrimination. But I could be wrong...
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like the Help Desk lead talked to the management and got a rejection. My guess is overqualification for the lower role, but the higher role was gone already - her not knowing anything about it.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I had a similar instance a few years back now, I applied for a entry level job because it was the only IT job listed for the company at the time but they called me and asked if I'd like to apply for another position posted internally for desktop support and some server support, which they then posted for legal reasons after they interviewed me.

I did manage to land the higher job
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm very concerned that when I do hit the job market, i may get a large number of "overqualified" dq's if I apply for a help desk jobs, but I feel underqualified for a sys admin job. Personally i work at the advanced level of the people i work with, but I only work system support with some AD work, I dont have the experience these guys have with enterprise IT. SCCM, WSUS, Network devices, the whole shebang. what am I looking at?
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Overqualified isn't always a bad thing. Good companies with real growth options may even prefer candidates who are better than the minimum -- I know I always do.

If you're really that overqualified, you might not be far from being qualified for higher-level positions. Even with no experience, it's possible. So just keep getting more skills and certifications. It will help more than it hurts in the long run.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    IT69 wrote: »
    Perhaps they simply found a much better qualified candidate after initially considering you for the position, use it as motivation to improve your resume with more certifications so it will not happen again. Idk if its normal, but yes that does suck .

How will "improve your resume with more certifications" help him? He applied for a Help Desk position and even A+/Net + is more than enough for that.

kman69:

Chalk this up to @%$! happens! Move forward and always apply to multiple places and never think you have a job until you are signing papers. You will land something soon.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    For entry level positions for this isn't not uncommon for them to have hundreds of applicants. Maybe they found a good fit before they got to you or transfered an internal applicant. The bottom line is rejection happens often and it's something you will need to get used to. If hundreds of people apply, hundreds get rejected. Our recent helpdesk position broke 400 applications within a week.

Keep your head up and keep applying! The more good applications you get out, the better your chances.
  • kman69kman69 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. i have move forward the day i received the email.
  • NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would add that this is a good networking opportunity. If you have the business cards for the folks you interviewed with, see if you can find them on LinkedIn and add them. Doesnt hurt to have some visibilty in their email updates or on the their home page.

I always make a point to send an email response to the recruiters that seem promising with a quick summary of the conversation i had and if you get an email for the interviewer then i send a thank you email to them. May not seem like more than fluff but a geniune thank you email could put you over the top for your customer service skills really shinning.

Either way, my only two cents to the issue is that as others have addressed, there could have literally been 100 candidates with minimum or better resumes. You didnt mention that the Lead seems disinterested and wanted to get rid of you, so score yourself one good interview. If nothing else, the business made decisions that the Lead couldn't control. There will be other interviews and jobs waiting for you!