So maybe be getting a new IT job

seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I received a job offer from a company doing work at home tech support that I start in the coming weeks. I had to relocate to get the right internet speeds and got an interview this past Friday at a local business who does healthcare IT type stuff. The position I applied for was just a level 1 help desk position but it's a foot in the door and good experience since I just recently got my MCTS and the work from home job is kind of in the opposite direction of my experiences so far.

The interview went great, I'd be on a small team of three people and I really want this position. All jobs I've had before have made me an offer contingent upon a background check and drug test. This one though, the IT director said he would talk to the guys I met with who would be on my team and the financial guy to see what they could bring me in at, in regards to pay and would let me know. Today I was contacted and completed a background check authorization/employment form and he said he would contact me back about the drug test. I'm just curious if it sounds like maybe to you guys if he had already talked to my potential teammates and they approved of me or maybe he's just getting it out of the way and why he didn't just have me do it on the day of my interview.

I'm just kind of curious because this order of things just isn't normal to what I've been through and wanted some other peoples thoughts on it.
LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
Up Next - MCSE: Communication
2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1

Comments

• NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    No one but them can tell you for sure what they are doing. I can tell you that the background check and drug screening aren't free and they typically don't spend the money to screen a candidate that they aren't serious about.

They probably didn't have you do it the day of your interview because he wanted to talk with the other guys and make sure they liked you too.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • seth479seth479 Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. He contacted me today and wants me to come in and meet the CFO in a couple hours.
    LinkedIn | www.sethhall.com
    In Progress - MCSE: Messaging [] 70-341 [] 70-342
    Up Next - MCSE: Communication
    2016 Goals: MCSE: Messaging / Communication, CCENT, LPIC-1
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Blessings on the interview OP.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • sieffsieff Member Posts: 276
    dumb question ... but when you get a job offer, do you get an offer letter and then the background check info? if so, how long is the background check. i ask because one company did the total opposite. after an initial phone screening they immediately sent the background check info before even doing technical or face-to-face interview.
    "The heights by great men reached and kept were not attained by sudden flight, but they, while their companions slept were toiling upward in the night." from the poem: The Ladder of St. Augustine, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    sieff wrote: »
    dumb question ... but when you get a job offer, do you get an offer letter and then the background check info? if so, how long is the background check. i ask because one company did the total opposite. after an initial phone screening they immediately sent the background check info before even doing technical or face-to-face interview.

Absolutely.. an offer letter definitely states you have the job. Without the offer letter. A company can change there mind on a dime.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs