CISA Experience question

rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
Hi,

I have the CISSP already but was thinking of doing the CISA, it says a "minimum of 5 years of professional information systems auditing, control or security work experience (as described in the CISA job practice areas) is required for certification."

But is that 5 years experience in all domains 2 domians or do you need it in just the one?

Thanks,

Comments

• AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    From the ISACA web site: How to Become CISA Certified

I don't see where it says that you need to have a minimum of 5 years eperienced in 1 or 2 job practice domains.

If you take a look at the application form: http://www.isaca.org/Certification/CISA-Certified-Information-Systems-Auditor/Apply-for-Certification/Documents/Application-form-download.pdf

They don't mention it either.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • CISPhDCISPhD Member Posts: 114
    You do need five years of experience to qualify for certification. Just like the CISM exam, you don't need 5 years experience to take sit the exam, but you will need it to become officially certified.

"Once a CISA candidate has passed the CISA certification exam and has met the work experience requirements, the final step is to complete and submit a CISA Application for Certification. A minimum of 5 years of professional information systems auditing, control or security work experience (as described in the CISA job practice areas) is required for certification."

Answering[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] the OP, here is an example set of the required experience levels:

[/FONT]As an example, at a minimum (assuming a two-year waiver of experience by substituting 120 university credits) an applicant must have three years of actual work experience. This experience can be completed by:
    • three years information systems audit, control, or security experience; OR
    • two years information systems audit, control, or security experience and one full year non-IS audit or information systems experience or two years as a full-time university instructor.
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know that CISA requires a minimum of 5 years experience. But the OP was asking if those experiences must be in 1 or 2 of CISA job practice domains.

As I mentioned, in the ISACA web site, it doesn't specify how many domains in job practice are required.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
    AlexNguyen wrote: »
    I know that CISA requires a minimum of 5 years experience. But the OP was asking if those experiences must be in 1 or 2 of CISA job practice domains.

As I mentioned, in the ISACA web site, it doesn't specify how many domains in job practice are required.

My apologies. :) After calling ISACA, there isn't a requirement. They do however "prefer" your experience be in multiple areas.
  • rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    Thanks guys, I have it in one of them.
    rob1234 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, I have it in one of them.

You're best bet to be certain would be to call ISACA yourself and present your experience to receive feedback. The questions I provided were very generic. Furthermore, it wouldn't be the first time I've received inconsistent information from ISACA. Feel free to give them a call, they're very nice, and usually bend over backwards to ensure all your questions are answered.