SSCP after CISSP

rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
Hi,

I have the CISSP and I was thinking of doing the SSCP but was not sure if there is any point since I have the CISSP.

Thanks,

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you think learning the material will be really helpful to you, there's a point. If you don't, there isn't. I don't see it as substantially adding value to your resume, and you have to do more to maintain both.

I would say a vendor/tech-specific certification relative to the area in which you work would be a more effective use of time and money.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    Thanks, so I could not use the CPEs for both the CISSP and SSCP I would need to get separate ones for each cert?
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is what I've seen in other threads on TE -- you cannot share CPEs between the two, and you have to pay separate fees for each.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    You would not only need to collect CPEs separately for each cert, but you would also pay an additional $65/yr for the SSCP AMF.

In my opinion, once you have the CISSP there is no reason to get the SSCP. You can, however, still learn a lot by readying the SSCP study materials.
  • someslackersomeslacker Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Reviewing the CPE requirements it states that CPEs earned will apply to all certifications held by the individual. Only caveat is which group they will fall into if the domains match up. If the domains match between certs for the CPE they will be group A, if not then it will be counted as a group B for the cert that does not match the domain. If that is indeed the case I will pursue my SSCP as at that point the only recurring issue will me the MAF and not the duplication of necessary CPEs.
    Reviewing the CPE requirements it states that CPEs earned will apply to all certifications held by the individual.
    Once you get your SSCP you may be surprised to find that a new drop down selection list appears on the CPE submission page asking you which of your (ISC)2 certs you want the CPE submission applied to. Based on this fact, I think it would be better worded, "any CPE earned may be applied to any single (ISC)2 certification held by the (ISC)2 member."
  • someslackersomeslacker Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have recently submitted CPEs and have seen the dropdown but thankfully ISC2 spelled it out quite clearly on the Required Number of CPE Credits page. Concentrations are another matter but as it stands with CISSP, SSCP, CAP and CSSLP I'm going with what they say...just sayin'.

"If you hold more than one (ISC)² credential, the CPEs you submit will automatically be counted toward all of your active credentials. CPE activities should not be entered more than one time."

If that's true they should remove the "Apply CPE to Credential/Concentration" list selection, as it appears to be no longer relevant.

jdmurray-albums-posted-picture3178-cpe-selection.png
  • rob1234rob1234 Banned Posts: 151
    JDMurray wrote: »
    If that's true they should remove the "Apply CPE to Credential/Concentration" list selection, as it appears to be no longer relevant.

jdmurray-albums-posted-picture3178-cpe-selection.png

I contacted ISC2 and asked them directly and you can use them for both with no problems.