Options

how to study, for MCTIP Exam for an Adult with ADHD

mrrothaddermrrothadder Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
How do adult with ADHD study for exams?

What steps, do you take?
How do plan the studying time?
Do you do partice exams first, then study the book?
What order do you do to study?

How do you avoid being nervous???

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I usually read chapter, and then go back to the previous chapter to hit anything that I missed. It's a long process but it works for me.

I always wait until I'm finished with the books to use the exams, that way I'm not just remembering the answers.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
  • Options
    CISPhDCISPhD Member Posts: 114
    How do adult with ADHD study for exams?

What steps, do you take?
    How do plan the studying time?
    Do you do partice exams first, then study the book?
    What order do you do to study?

How do you avoid being nervous???

While I'm no neurologist, I'd suggest you follow many of the same tactics the others on this site use, but with a particular emphasis on a few key areas.

Focus Areas:
    - Taking thorough notes: Writing down the material helps you commit the information to memory much easier than just hearing it. Repeat the same notes several times if necessary to retain.
    - Stay organized: Use a good note taking application such as OneNote or Evernote. This allows you to tabulate and organize your data. In addition, your data is available via cloud services, making studying on the road easy.
    - Limit Distractions: I'd suggest you find a quiet place to study with limited distractions. The more stimulation you have, the more you're going to be bothered. Make sure you're all set physically as well. Don't continue to stress about work once you've left. Study time is study time... period. Also, ensure you're well fed and watered. You don't want your stomach interrupting your train of thought every 30 seconds.
    - Learn From Others: Be sure to review this forum (and dare I say others?) to review the study habits of other successful exam takers. Take their preparation for the salt that it's worth and assume that your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps, and best of luck to you!
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    You really need to try different things and find out what works best for you. Personally I often have a very hard time concentrating but have found ways to use that to my advantage. For me I've found that I can relate logical distractions to concepts or chapters in a book. By switching locations, music, tv shows, snacks, ect ect.. I'm able to associate my newfound knowledge with what else was going on at the time and it helps me retain the information much better. Trying to get rid of distractions really didn't work for me since I was always able to find more hence why I switched to this approach.