Job Interview

I currently work full-time as a Army subcontractor doing level 2 & 3 support. While the job is good and the pay is very nice I am not with my family 5 days out of the week, (The commute is little over 2 hours and I was waiting to become permanent before moving them down to me). Well after being told that I would be permanent after another year (which should have been 4 months ago) I began looking for another closer job.

Well, today I just received a call for a call about a job offer doing desktop support for Federal Law Enforcement. I am very excited since it is located only 40-50m from where I currently live. They asked me to stop by on Monday for a interview so here's to hoping I get it.

I will miss this place if I do get the job, I am the youngest tech by a long shot and since I have been here they made me the project lead for the various projects around the building, they even sent me to Orlando for a conference (While **** everyone else off since I am still the "new guy". )

I am honestly not sure why I am writing this but wish me luck nonetheless, no matter what happens I am still pursuing a career in Network Security and will hopefully have my CCNA done early next year.
WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1

Comments

• jasong318jasong318 Member Posts: 102
  • DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, good luck! I hope you get it!
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck - hope it works out.
  • SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    Update interview went extremely well. I know 90% of the equipment and software they use. They will be making their choice by the end of the week and will be sending me paperwork to get a badge "just in case" I get picked.
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Whelp, I got the job the only bad thing it pays about 5k less a year then what I currently make. I am currently weighing the pros and cons

Pro:
    1) Will be close enough to be home everyday with my family instead of just 2 days a week
    2) Will not have to spend $300 in rent + $100+ in food expenses
    3) No more 2 hour drive will bring it down to 45 min
    4) Seems like a more stable place working for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center

Cons:
    1) Way less pay and will have to do state taxes icon_sad.gif

In total it will be about a 4k a year loss but I will be with my family and with all bills being paid (Including food and other expenses.) I should be taking home around $1000 to put in the savings.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • KronesKrones Member Posts: 164
    Congrats! I think it is a good move.
    WGU - Security
    Current: Start date Sept 1. Remaining:
    CUV1, BOV1, CJV1, CVV1, KET1, KFT1, DFV1, TPV1, BNC1, RIT1, DHV1, CSV1, COV1, CQV1, CNV1, SBT1, RGT1 Completed:
    AXV1, CPV1, CTV1 Transferred: AGC1, BBC1, LAE1, QBT1, LUT1, GAC1/HHT1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, BVC1, CLC1, WFV1, DJV1
    Whelp, everything is said and done, my last day for my current job is the 16th and I start my new job on the 19th. It's funny how when I turn in my letter of resignation a position I been wanting for over 6 months is "magically" open and I can have it if I would like, I still declined.

I am very happy I decided to move to this new position, not only will the company give bonuses for awards/project completions they also give $1500 a year in education reimbursement which doesn't have to be job related. I do kinda wish the pay was a bit more since I am taking a cut for changing job, but at least I can be home everyday and see my family and still have everything taken care of bill wise.

ALso, this will no way affect me getting my CCNA/CCNA Security certs. I am still actively working on getting them and it looks like this new company will actually help out more then my old one.
  • KeenerKeener Member Posts: 146 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! I understand completely about not wanting to lose pay, but definitely focus on the other items that you will gain instead. I have been at roughly the same pay for the last 5 years and had to take a pay cut to be with family, but it was well worth it to me.

Continue to develop your skills and keep climbing. The pay will follow (though it is sometimes hard to see or believe).

One thing I truly believe is that sometimes you have to take a step sideways and/or a little back in order to move further forward. Best of luck to you in your new gig!
    Pain is only temporary. No matter how bad it gets, it always ends!
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the new position and many continued blessings on your journey!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021