all programs menu dont come up

ebkrantzebkrantz Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was looking at computer today and when you click on start, then try to bring up that all programs menu, it will not come up, i can't any reason why this menu should not come up, i have never seen this problem before, it is windows xp pro

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    If you right click on 'start' and 'explore' can you navigate through 'all programs' then?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you sure a group policy is not being implemented on the computer?
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    or someone is not playing with a copy of registry tricks for dummys and a script kiddie virus kit.
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • ebkrantzebkrantz Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It is a standalone computer, there is no group policy on it. I couldnt find a trace of a virus on this computer, its just a really odd problem. If i right click it, i can navigate through all the programs then.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ebkrantz wrote:
    It is a standalone computer, there is no group policy on it. I couldnt find a trace of a virus on this computer, its just a really odd problem. If i right click it, i can navigate through all the programs then.

You can still apply group policy to a stand alone PC, you will be using the local computers policy. The GP setting that will disable All Programs from showing on the Start Menu is under User Configuration. To be exact: Go to Run and type in gpedit.msc and your local computers Group Policy will display. Go to User Configuration > Administrative Templates >Start Menu and Taskbar. To the right you will find a setting "Remove All Programs List from the Start Menu"

Check there and post back.
  • jim_staszjim_stasz Member Posts: 123
    I've also seen profiles go bad and cause goofy behavior like this.
  • give it a dose of CCleaner registry fixer and hijackthis, shaken not stirred. I've seen that problem once before and one of those programs got it to work when I ran it under safe mode. If that doesn't work, try Microsoft KB