When's the best time to move on from a Help/Service Desk Postion

Hi all,

Just querying about when is the best time to move on from the Help/Service desk postion.

I've only been in my current role for around 3 months and currently am a Service Desk Analyst. I graduated from University with a degree in Computer Science; Majoring in Networks and Security not long ago, since graduating it has been the only position which I could land at the current time.

I have over two years experience working within the IT field and in my final year of my Bachelors degree was based as an Onsite and remote Engineeer for a company providing IT services to a variety of Small-Medium (20-250 users). I have also had past experience working as a Computer Technican and also have a great track record of providing excellent customer service skills.

The reason for this thread is because I'm becoming "Bored" of my current role; While it has been great to expose me to a large IT enviroment and also the ITIL procedures and standards which it follows however I am just doing minimal tasks "Remote desktop support and basic AD tasks". I know that I'm capable of doing more and also have the relevant skills to do so.

I've already studied and know the CCNA material and CCNAS material and have experience with configuring Cisco equipment and also a few years experience within Windows domain enviroments (AD,Exchange, Proxy's etc).

What do some of you think, 3 months to move on? I'm currently reviewing the material for CCNA and CCNAS so i can actually get the certfications to be able to "Prove" that I know the material.

What kind of roles should I look to move on to or do you think would best suit me?

All comments would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As soon as you can.

If you are working and studying hard. You're skills will never match 100%.
    -Daniel
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    Daniel333 wrote: »
    As soon as you can.

If you are working and studying hard. You're skills will never match 100%.

I thought the same; Might start applying for other jobs elsewhere, however Do Employers value time spent at companies (Commitment).
  • KaiiKaii Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    StussyNz wrote: »
    I thought the same; Might start applying for other jobs elsewhere, however Do Employers value time spent at companies (Commitment).

yes.. having a long term in a company values..
    its becauses:
    they are checking how long you have been to your previous companies... because being able to go that long in it means a company is satify to your work and also they still needed you..

being in a company for a year is a good background.
    I`m the Designer of my Own Catastrophy

“The best way to predict the FUTURE is to CREATE it”
    Kaii wrote: »
    yes.. having a long term in a company values..
    its becauses:
    they are checking how long you have been to your previous companies... because being able to go that long in it means a company is satify to your work and also they still needed you..

being in a company for a year is a good background.

Thanks for your input. I agree what you are trying to say however I feel that a year would be way too long for me to stay here; I'll just be wasting away my potential. I may give it 2-3 More months but think that 6 Months will be the maximum. I'm only 22 and don't want to waste away my career working on the Helpdesk!
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Thanks for your input. I agree what you are trying to say however I feel that a year would be way too long for me to stay here; I'll just be wasting away my potential. I may give it 2-3 More months but think that 6 Months will be the maximum. I'm only 22 and don't want to waste away my career working on the Helpdesk!

yeah man keep on moving. I don`t literally say you to stay there were you are.. thats only companies what do if they still needed you..
    But I something you thinking to step up your carreer that would be very best and im happy for you
    I get what you want. ME either don`t want to loose time and effort in a company when im keep on continue working what i know again and again

Just One Golder Rule.: Technology don`t stop . People do..

But if were trying to stay in a certain company we must consider two things
    1.They giving us more challenging works..
    2. They is still something we can learn and keep on learning from them.

So if were trying to go with the same work we always do. We are stuck in it.

Just few last words mate. Go on,Get out to your comfort zone and Enjoy.

• panikpanik Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NOW!

If you are not doing what you want to be doing you should be looking at moving.
    panik wrote: »
    NOW!

If you are not doing what you want to be doing you should be looking at moving.

yeah thats the thing :D

• EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was Helpdesk for 3 months, couldnt stand the place and I was doing the graveyard shift there. Why should I take abuse for the untrue crap that the sales teams shoved in the faces of customers.

I had no certs at the time (this was 6 years ago) and began to apply for roles after 2 months at the Helpdesk. I did get asked the question - Why do you want to leave your current position when you've been in it for 2 months only. My reply was - I want to work normal hours and intend to work in a place that values my skills and education. I landed a better role that paid 1.5 times as much, closer to home and a real IT job. I did get lucky I know, but hey if I never applied would I've got the role? No. Do not hang around in a Service Desk role for longer than 6months to a year, aim to get outa there. I know folks that have been in the Service Desk for 6 years and longer. They either have no desire to do something better in life or are contented with whatever they are doing and getting paid.

Apply for positions in Australia, we wouldnt mind another Kiwi! icon_wink.gif
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
    Essendon wrote: »
    I was Helpdesk for 3 months, couldnt stand the place and I was doing the graveyard shift there. Why should I take abuse for the untrue crap that the sales teams shoved in the faces of customers.

I had no certs at the time (this was 6 years ago) and began to apply for roles after 2 months at the Helpdesk. I did get asked the question - Why do you want to leave your current position when you've been in it for 2 months only. My reply was - I want to work normal hours and intend to work in a place that values my skills and education. I landed a better role that paid 1.5 times as much, closer to home and a real IT job. I did get lucky I know, but hey if I never applied would I've got the role? No. Do not hang around in a Service Desk role for longer than 6months to a year, aim to get outa there. I know folks that have been in the Service Desk for 6 years and longer. They either have no desire to do something better in life or are contented with whatever they are doing and getting paid.

Apply for positions in Australia, we wouldnt mind another Kiwi! icon_wink.gif

Thanks for you comment! I've actually looked at hopping over the ditch; It's something which I plan on doing in my future career plans. The Company I work for at the moment actually supports a large range of Australian Clients (Mostly all its clients are actually in Australia, even the one I'm supporting on the Desk.) That's really why I don't want to leave the company I'm currently at. I'd love to move internally..