the road for the ITIL foundation

sshehabsshehab Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi , i wanna to take the ITIL foundation certification but i don't know from where to start , what are the needed materials, any prerequisites needed for the exam .. etc ?Appreciate your helpThanks Sherif

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Sherif

The ITIL Official Site is the best place to start - take a look here: http://www.itil-officialsite.com/Qualifications/ITILQualificationLevels/ITILFoundation.aspx

and if you have any questions please feel free to DM me.

Kind regards

Claire
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sorry to hijack the thread - I'm kinda interested myself.

Every once in a while, I'll take a look at that ITIL site but navigating the list of Accredited Training Organisations is a bit unwieldy.

I realize that there are firms like CBT Nuggets that offer online training. But I prefer to get the materials from a licensed source. My employer uses an ITIL ATO for training who also administers the test. But I prefer not to take 3 days out of my week for the training.

If anyone knows of an inexpensive licensed ATO that offers online training like CBT Nuggets - please share. Thanks.
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Paul,
    Skill port is accredited for the training.
    Hi Paul

Accredited online ATOs include:

IT Training Zone (my org - ITIL Training Online | Experts in Online ITIL Training Courses)
    Mountainview
    Gogo training
    Thoughtrocks
    ITSM Solutions

Thoughtrock is probably the cheapest, but it's worth taking a look at the sample material on each site, checking length of access, access to tutor support etc. That way you'll find the best training for you.

Claire
  • sshehabsshehab Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dears ,, what are the recommended materials for study and pass the ITIL exam ?
  • AlexNguyenAlexNguyen Member Posts: 358 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @paul78: For the ITIL foundation level cert, it's not worth to spend your money on a course. You can self-study over a week-end and pass the exam easily on the next Monday. There are only 40 questions with multiple choices and you need only 65% to pass. It's easier if your organization is already using ITIL processes.
    Knowledge has no value if it is not shared.
    Knowledge can cure ignorance, but intelligence cannot cure stupidity.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks Alex - I am pretty familiar with ITIL. I'm an aural learner so CBT's work well for me, I was hoping to find something that came with the materials which I could use for future reference. I originally was planning to just buy the book from BSC. But I couldn't quite figure out where to buy that in the US and it wasn't on Amazon. I'm probably just over-thinking the whole thing. icon_smile.gif which means I'll continue to procrastinate for another year.

Claire - I appreciate the list - I checked out Thoughtrock and it looks good.

Santa - I'll have to look closer at Skillport - thanks.
    You're very welcome - let us know how you get on icon_smile.gif
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh Hi Claire,
    I have always wondered if someone who's career is in networking actually needs ITIL? It seems like its geared more towards, Microsoft system administrator, could you clarify this point?
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    Hi JustFred

ITIL's focus in on services and service management rather than any specific type of technology. So, from a networking perspective ITIL might look at how the network supports business processes, the impact of network loss, the business case for building in redundancy etc.

When I've recruited in the past I've looked for applicants with a balance of technical and service skills. Technical skills are needed to fulfil a technical role, but something like the ITIL Foundation reassures me that I'm dealing with someone who also understands the customer perspective and what IT is actually for.

Maybe it's a cliche but I've worked with technical staff in the past who thought nothing of switching off a server to do some work on it and then wondered why people complained!

That's my view on it anyway - if you're interested in ITIL you could take a look at the www.freeitiltraining.com site we launched. It's a free introductory course and then you can decide if you want to take it any further.

Claire
  • pumbaa_gpumbaa_g Member Posts: 353
    Loved the Van Haren publications for Foundations exam.
    [h=1]“An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.” [/h]
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the explanation Claire, that actually makes lots of sense.
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
  • effektedeffekted Member Posts: 166
    Hi JustFred

ITIL's focus in on services and service management rather than any specific type of technology. So, from a networking perspective ITIL might look at how the network supports business processes, the impact of network loss, the business case for building in redundancy etc.

When I've recruited in the past I've looked for applicants with a balance of technical and service skills. Technical skills are needed to fulfil a technical role, but something like the ITIL Foundation reassures me that I'm dealing with someone who also understands the customer perspective and what IT is actually for.

Maybe it's a cliche but I've worked with technical staff in the past who thought nothing of switching off a server to do some work on it and then wondered why people complained!

That's my view on it anyway - if you're interested in ITIL you could take a look at the www.freeitiltraining.com site we launched. It's a free introductory course and then you can decide if you want to take it any further.

Claire

I believe I am going to start the ITIL track so I can try and move to a PM/TPM role and going to use the site to get an introductory to it. Sadly no more training budget this year so won't have work cover an elearning class+test until next year. Figured I would start with ITIL since I don't have enough PM hours for PMP yet.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    Using the book by Brady Orand, looking to snag this in the next few months
  • DoubleDDoubleD Member Posts: 273 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Claire,
    Just looking through the wonderful material available via your link. Quick question: There is some overlap between ITIL foundation certification and project management (PMP exam/certification material, CompTIA Project+, etc). If this material is fresh on one's mind, do you think studying the ITIL "Lite" version would suffice to pass the ITIL foundation exam? I have seen older versions of the foundation study material from, I think, 2008 and it was similar. Also, with my background in Information Science the overall concepts are quite logical and, for me, it's more a matter of recalling terminology. Anyway, I want to get some good study material (but can't pay hundreds for test prep, well, not for this level) and think your "110 minute Lite" online training would be perfect (do get a PDF study guide, correct?) for me. What do you think? I mean, can this material prepare one for the Foundation exam, given (of course) that they do understand the material as presented?
    Let me know. If you don't think it's good for preparing for the foundation exam, then let me know what is. Also, what is the newest exam objectives for the ITIL foundation exam? I read that it was changed but can't see a difference between pre-2012 and current material for the Foundation exam. I know the more advanced stuff has changed but I am just wanting to take the Foundation exam since, regardless, gotta pass it to get to the more advanced material anyway. So, is the 110 minute intro enough for the foundation exam? If so, I'll get it. Thank you!
    Hi Charlemagne

As an accredited training provider, I have to be very clear that our free introductory course isn't intended to fulfill the foundation syllabus - and it's not a replacement for the complete foundation training course. But thanks for the kind feedback!

However, as you know it is possible to self study for the ITIL foundation and you could use our free material as an element of your self study. I would recommend you go to the ITIL Official Site and get a copy of the syllabus and the sample exam paper you can download for free from there. These are the latest versions incorporating the 2011 updates to ITIL.

Based on how you perform on that free sample exam, you might choose to buy a book to support you in your foundation studies as well. Some examples are:

ITIL foundation handbook ISBN-10: 0113313497 (disclosure - I was part of the authoring team)
    ITIL foundation exam study guide ISBN-10: 1119942756
    ITIL foundation essentials ISBN-10: 1849283990 (disclosure - I wrote this icon_smile.gif )

If you get an official licensed book you know it's aligned with the foundation syllabus, and with a working knowledge of ITIL already you should be prepared for the exam.

Hope that helps!

Claire
    Thank you for the book information. I fully understand your professional responsibility as an accredited provider. That said, I have the latest exam objectives and it's not difficult to use up to date material to create your own notes. I will go to the ITIL official site. The books are a bargain, too. Thank you!
    You're very welcome - let me know how you get on when you take the exam, and good luck!
    Hi Claire,

Took it today. Failed. Pathetic performance on my behalf. Well, suppose I see what's awaiting Project+...."F"...I've got a Ph.D....and can't pass a really easy exam. Nothing like the practice exams. What a bad day. Oh well...no time to whine. I'm in the mood to give up on certs and just stop wasting months of effort and money. Overlap with PMBOK and PMI...big time. My mind was somewhere over the rainbow. If you can't pass ITIL fundamentals....really, with my education, I should just give up. Sometimes reality bites and it hurts. I'm so disappointed...I would cry but I can't. Ever feel this way? Hope not.
    I failed, after study, ITIL fundamentals! I'm so disgusted at myself. Geez....
    I took it again today and PASSED. :) Now, I feel better!
  • Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats - hard work pays off finally - The ITIL F is a good exam to have are you planning to take the ITIL Practitioner soon any time.
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
    My next scheduled exam is project+ on 12/6. I should do well. But, yes, I'm considering further ITIL training as it fits my formal Masters degrees in Information Science (just never used it as my career went a different direction).

I want to take the "CPDE" (Certified Process Design Engineer" exam in 2013. It counts toward ITIL expert credits and after a thorough review of the exam objectives, it fits very well with my academic degrees.

Anyone out there passed this exam and can offer study guide advice? I'm not in a rush. IF anyone has advice, please let me know. I want to prepare properly. Thanks!
    Hi Claire,
    I want to take the "CPDE" (Certified Process Design Engineer" exam in 2013. It counts toward ITIL expert credits and after a thorough review of the exam objectives, it fits very well with my academic degrees. Any advice regarding study guides (books) and how this specifically fits in the ITIL framework. Are there any e-learning (accredited) options as I think there is a 30 hour requirement. Anyway, please let me know about this cert and a cost effective method to obtain the necessary educational "contact hours." I know how I learn best and actually learn less in a classroom (I teach every day....kind of tired of classrooms) and much more on my own since I know myself. Let me know what you think of this cert and if it is good to have. Thank you!
    Hi Charlemagne

This isn't a cert I know anything about I'm afraid so I can't make any recommendations there. I'd love to hear about your experience if you go ahead with it though, and whether you found it worthwhile.

Kind regards

Claire
    Being a professional research librarian, I have researched this exam in depth, asked several people "in the field" that would have knowledge of this exam (and did have plenty), and to make a long story short: It's well worth it and good if, as with any certificate exam, it fits in with one's overall goals. This one does. But, that is a side note as I am going to continue on with ITIL Intermediate modules. Probably going to use your company. Not sure just yet but I'm going to look at it in more detail soon. I noticed you have some good options available for those that have recently passed the ITIL foundation exam, such as I did. I appreciate your thoughts and advice.
    Hi Charlemagne

If you've got any queries about ITIL training paths, just let me know. Thanks for the info on CPDE, it's one I may look into in more detail.

Claire
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    Using the book by Brady Orand, looking to snag this in the next few months
    Just got back, passed without to much effort.

I'm not impressed by this stuff at all as but job paid for it so I can't complain I suppose...
    Congratulations to you! :)