Options

Softphone Traffic left untagged?

RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I just stopped following a UDP stream that my computer seen. Apparently it's from a softphone...

BYE sip: xxxxxx @xx.xx.xx.xxx:50 60;transport=UDP SIP/2.0

I do Wednesday is Wireshark day, for me. I watch network packets... For funsies.

Which made me question why? Can the switch distinguish between the softphone traffic on PC1, and then tag it into a VLAN or does the traffic stay untagged, throughout the network.

I guess the best question to ask is - How did I see someone else's softphone traffic?
In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

Comments

• Options
    azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds right to me that Softphone is sending packets out untagged/unclassified as its coming from the PC/PC VLan.

Setting autoqos softphone on the switch interface associated with the PC/Softphone I'd think "should" fix it.

Alternatively you would need to setup QoS class-maps / policy-maps to watch for RTP & SIP/SCCP signalling traffic and remark the QoS headers.
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Shouldn't the switch put it out the correct trunk port? I don't have access to the switch to make any configuration checks. I didn't save the stream of packets to look at later, but i'm sure it'll crop up again.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams