Zero to SQL

Ilitem2Ilitem2 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello
I'm new to the site and to the computing world.

I have been an electrician for over 20 years but since 2009 I haven't really worked much. So I enrolled in the local community college and after talking to a counselor I enrolled in the 1st of 4 CCNA classes designed "for people like me off the street" she said. Well the class was a hybrid class and was only 8 wks from start to finish. The 1st night 13 of us started and only 9 finished, 5 had previous computer experience 4 of us didn't. The class was fast paced and difficult to keep up with. We started out behind because on the first night of class, we were told which book we would be using. We had to read 2 chapters and do the Cisco exams. When we got to chapter 6 Sub-netting the teacher didn't go over the calculations until we were at chapter 10 and the next week was our final. So I started out with 87,86,79,83% on the 1st 4 exams and I finished with a 53% and I got a 56% on the final. The teacher was a very nice man but not a good instructor, he knew the material but could teach it to us. The highest grade in the class was an 82% so with the curve I got a C for a 53%. I spoke to the counselor and she suggested starting with the A+ cert and maybe the A+ networking then retrying the CCNA. Needless to say I'm lost and I'm looking to assistance in pointing me in a direction for the SQL certification.

Thanks

Comments

• MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    Hello,

The post is a little confusing, as SQL and CCNA are two different areas of computing. SQL is Databasing , CCNA is more networking.

What sort of computer work interested you? Maybe we can assist from there. As a general suggestion most people with no prior computer experience start out with the A+, to kind of get the lay of the land.
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Download the "Joes to Pros" Guides for Kindle from Amazon. Get a developer copy of SQL (about 50 bucks) and do all the hands on you can on your own machine. Its a good way to start.
  • Ilitem2Ilitem2 Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Because of my electrical experience (I have an AAS in Electrical Installations) the counselor suggested the CCNA as a "natural progression". Not knowing much of the computing world I wasn't sure what to do, I know how to install cat5e & cat6, fiber and how to make the terminations.
    Had she suggested the A+ I would have enrolled in that and not have wasted my time and money on something that was over my head for the short period that the class ran. I might have picked up more had we met more often or the class ran a few days longer.
    I was only ask about SQL because other people have suggested it to me, but I'm quite sure what it is.
  • lordylordy Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think A+ -> Network+ -> CCNA is the usual route.

If you are fresh into IT starting of with something like A+ will probably make sense to build a foundation. I would also recommend Network+ while I consider CCNA optional, at least for starters. Once you have these you can get into more focused areas like servers, databases, etc. Good luck :)
    Working on CCNP: [X] SWITCH --- [ ] ROUTE --- [ ] TSHOOT
    Goal for 2014: RHCA
    Goal for 2015: CCDP
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I can understand why the counselor suggested CCNA as networking and cabling are in the same bed together, so to speak. However, I think you would have been better served starting out with the Network+ certification to give you the birds eye view of networking that would help you to find out if networking truly was for you. I'd say, if you don't mind, go back and do a network+ class or even better do some self study and learn it on your own and if you like it, go back and tackle the CCNA again (hopefully you'll have a better grasp by then)

Alternately, you could pursue BICSI certifications to strengthen your knowledge of cabling and electrical standards. I know a few "cable dogs" who transitioned to full blown networking moving from outside to inside plant then assisting in initially configuring network devices.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
    BICSI certs where's a good place to start? Any suggestions?

Thanks
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Any into classes at the college should be OK. Work toward the A+ certification as a good start.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • spicy ahispicy ahi Member Posts: 413 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ilitem2 wrote: »
    BICSI certs where's a good place to start? Any suggestions?

Thanks

You can check out more about BICSI at https://www.bicsi.org/Default.aspx

I'd also google BICSI+your local area to see what training centers or community colleges offer BICSI training. The website also has a listing of authorized training centers.
    Spicy :cool: Mentor the future! Be a CyberPatriot!
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Its very weird that someone from an electric background want to make a jump suddenly to SQL

I would recommend Network Engineering better
    It works more with Layer 1 (and others)
    But there is a lot of space in the market for people who work with Layer 1, and with an electric background it makes way more sense in my opinion.
    I think a person with electric BG would work better with RTT, decibels, Delay, attenuation, signals etc etc
    These people are very important!
    meh
    Like I said earlier I know Nothing about SQL, it has been recommended to me..
    Because the economy is in the tank homes aren't selling and people aren't building, Lack of construction jobs.
    So I'm looking to get into IT . The counselor suggested the CCNA as a "natural progression" but I didn't do so well trying to jump into that without starting with A+. That's why I was upset that after speaking with a counselor at the local college she would suggest CCNA then suggest I start at the beginning.
    Now with the help of the people here I'm gathering a lot of information on which direction might work best for me in the shortest period of time. I haven't worked much since 2008, 3 months 2009 very little since. I have 4 kids and I'm in my mid forties so I don't have many funds at my disposal.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ilitem2 wrote: »
    Like I said earlier I know Nothing about SQL, it has been recommended to me..
    Because the economy is in the tank homes aren't selling and people aren't building, Lack of construction jobs.
    So I'm looking to get into IT . The counselor suggested the CCNA as a "natural progression" but I didn't do so well trying to jump into that without starting with A+. That's why I was upset that after speaking with a counselor at the local college she would suggest CCNA then suggest I start at the beginning.
    Now with the help of the people here I'm gathering a lot of information on which direction might work best for me in the shortest period of time. I haven't worked much since 2008, 3 months 2009 very little since. I have 4 kids and I'm in my mid forties so I don't have many funds at my disposal.

I think there's some confusion - SQL is not the direction you need. SQL is for database, CCNA is for networking. A CCNA would be a good transition for you from being an electrician. If you start with basic PC repair you will be on the right path to a CCNA. Keep in mind that it will not be a quick process and most starting jobs probably aren't paying near what you are used to making as a journey level electrician.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Jumping on to SQL without prior server experience really isn't recommended. The best path to go is the CCNA route, to be honest.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
    Thank You all for your input.
    I'll talk to a counselor and enroll in the A+ Cert class. Are there any books or other info that I can use to get ahead start, as classes will not start till after the holidays?
  • jukemjukem Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest thinking about going the A+ ---> Network+ ----> CCNA (if you decide that networking is something that interests you after obtaining the network+) this should give you a solid foundation. Also check out Professor Messer's A+ videos to give you a head start. All the topics that will be covered on the A+ exam are covered there in a very easy to understand style.
    Professor Messer’s Free CompTIA A+ Certification Training Course | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training

Hope this helps!
    “You got a dream, you gotta protect it. People can’t do something themselves, they wanna tell you, you can’t do it. If you want something, go get it. Period.”--Will Smith in the Movie: Pursuit of Happyness
  • discount81discount81 Member Posts: 213
    Honestly I'd be a bit annoyed at a counselor for suggesting CCNA as a starter course.

That was bad advice on her part.

Sorry to hear that you had a bad first experience, however with your prior knowledge and experience and a A+ and Network+ I really think you would be on the right track.
    http://www.darvilleit.com - a blog I write about IT and technology.