Options

Comptia Healthcare IT HIT-001

minni14minni14 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
New here and I thought I would share incase anyone is interested.

I work for an MSP and we deal with a bunch of medical practices. I figured this would help me in my day to day job, and of course look good. I spend about 15 hours a week working in or around medical practices for about the last year.

I studied with Comptia Healthcare It Technician Hit-001 Cert Guide by Joy Dark and Jean Andrews. I also read the basic overview of every government site listed in the study guide.

The exam covers quite a bit of ground. Its a mix of law, security, best practice, project management, and networking. Don't skip out on reading basic project management guidelines and tools. The exam is more healthcare specific than computer specific.

It is marked as lifetime which is great, since this stuff only gets more complex as time goes on. By way of exams, It was actually a bit difficult. I got 900's on the practice exams, but on the actual exam I got a 699.

Best advice, read the whole book, check the Gov't websites, check wikipedia for project management and be careful to check the charts and stuff out. Also remember most limited amount of PHI disclosure is best. Don't stop working if things get crazy in the ED or anywhere. Don't talk to or look at patients unnecessarily, know how long hipaa documents get stored, general medical records get stored, birth records, and dental records. Know what the heck a phlebotomist is.

Its a strange Cert, the test place never heard of it, but strangely my employer did. It is one of those ones that I have no idea if it has a general value, but I learned a bit, and my employer liked it.

Good luck!

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Thanks for the update. What practice tests did you use?

I'm scheduled to take in another month. I've read the whole book and am gonna read the healthcare chapters again.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I considered looking into this, thanks for the review
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    SiiiSiii Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone actually used this deal http://offers.comptia.org/hit/?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2012_0109_HIT

I see it gives you the voucher and a student guide? Is the guide a book or what is it? BTW...i failed this one once already. The book i read and practice questions I used did not help me prepare.
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I come from a family of physicians (father, two uncles, an aunt, my mother a dentist...and I know perhaps 17 different HR managers from different medical centers and/or hospitals) and, first, let me state that this is my opinion. I note on other forums people stating things as fact that are nothing but a biased opinion and, unfortunately, factually inconsistent and, consequently, I want to merely state what I have learned about the value of the HIT certification by actually asking several people that are in the position to actually hire a qualified health IT person and what qualifications they seek.
    The HIT exam is not going to help much (it will not hurt but you really have to ask yourself before buying into a cheap "bundle package" and getting excited...do some research in your area first, network with people and ask, you'll learn more about the value of a certification as it PERTAINS to your personal goals, than you will here) when you are competing against others that have not only a good university degree but also certification from professional organizations such as AHIMA (American Health Information Management Association). Most HIT programs (2 or 4 year degrees add this in as part of the program) and you'll see it appear in many job ads in the field of health IT. CompTIA's HIT exam covers such general material that by passing it (and you need to inquire with the target industry not asking here about how easy or hard or what books to study for an exam BEFORE knowing for sure it is going to help and by help I mean make your resume stand out above those that have certification from AHIMA, health IT degrees, and the gold standard: Experience. I will never suggest someone not study or do something that shall add to their knowledge. I wouldn't suggest not to sit for the HIT exam. Again, it will not hurt. However, be aware that it alone will be of little benefit. Truly, if you do not already know this basic material on the exam then you should consider an accredited college program in HIT. If it will boost your confidence or just make you feel better, do it. But do your research and know who you're going to be competing against and what credentials they have. Network with real people and you can succeed. Take the exam if you wish. But, if you want to get into Health IT and deep down never heard of AHIMA or have an HIT degree, just do research. My opinion only.
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You did the logical action. You listened to your employer and if an employer likes it, that is what matters. Plus, you are working in the field. This is a plus. I think the key is that one should inquire in their geographic area and do research about it. Yet, I think a lot of folks are more interested in just passing an exam and, after a brief feeling of euphoria, still don't have a clear focus on what precisely they need to achieve their career goals, that is, if they have them clearly articulated and a plan to get from point A (now) to point B (desired job or promotion). Too many here, I think, are seeking certs just to have. But, then again, this is an "exam" forum. To be expected.