Passed my GCIH today, taking GPEN soon!

BrianAndersonBrianAnderson Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well a few weeks ago I signed up for the OnDemand training offered by SANS, and today I decided to take the exam, which I was fortunate to pass first time. I was wondering how does the GCIH exam compare to others like the GPEN? Would this one be considered easy compared to the other ones? Are there any tips that you could give for someone taking the GPEN?

I can’t wait till I get a hold of my OnDemand GPEN study material (still pending delivery).
WGU BS-IT Start Date: 01/01/2013 | Current: Final Term Starts 1 April 2014
Certification Goals
: GSE

- Applied for Written Exam on 11 March 2014
- Approved for Written Exam on 12 March 2014 by GIAC/SANS

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass and welcome to TE.
  • BrianAndersonBrianAnderson Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you!
    Certification Goals

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • BrianAndersonBrianAnderson Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    YFZblu wrote: »
    Congrats!

Thank you!
    Certification Goals

• wmcglasswmcglass Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I think the GPEN is a natural evolution from the GCIH. The GCIH is approached from more of defensive stance, while the GPEN is an offensive stance. There is a little bit of overlap, but you'll find that things they merely scratched the surface on in GCIH are discussed at much greater depths in the GPEN. As the title would imply, it's heavily geared towards penetration testers. I wouldn't consider it 'easy'. But, like anything, that depends on your experience and background.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My co-worker who just got his GPEN told me that the current GPEN exam is definitely harder than the other GIAC exams he has taken. Good stuff though for sure. I'm probably going to take SANS 560 next year, probably at the Orlando conference.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/