Testing Voice VLAN and CUCM

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
How do I go about testing that the voice VLAN is working on a switch? I have my CUCM/UC servers running on VM and are on VLAN 55 "192.168.55.0/24" Network CUCM is 55.2 and UC is 55.3. Data Vlan is on 1 for now and IP address is 192.168.10.0. Im not quite sure if the CUCM/UC server should be assigned an IP on the Data or Voice Vlan. If I assign it a Voice VLAN IP then I wont be able to manage it from the data vlan. I have not found any documentation on what VLAN to set the server on. Does the port have to be a trunk port assigned to the servers? What am I missing here?
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• jahsouljahsoul Member Posts: 453
    Assigned CUCM to data and ensure connectivity between the voice and data networks. CUCM DHCP (when used) will always assign IP addresses to the phones. Your Layer 3 device is the one that handles the traffic. Seeing you are setting up a Cisco lab, set up your gateway to have VLANs set up for voice and data and route on a stick. Point the DHCP server to the default gateway and you are good to go. I know I probably sucked at explaining that but I got like a million things going on at once..lol. Simplified:

1. If using a voice gateway, use router on a stick, and point the CUCM DHCP server to the default gateway.
    2. If using a L3 Switch, create SVIs, VLANs, and then point the CUCM DHCP server to the default gateway.
    -With both, don't forget the "ip helper-address" command
    3. If using just a L2 switch, then get a router and refer back to 1.
    Reading: What ever is on my desk that day :study:
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    How do I go about testing that the voice VLAN is working on a switch? I have my CUCM/UC servers running on VM and are on VLAN 55 "192.168.55.0/24" Network CUCM is 55.2 and UC is 55.3. Data Vlan is on 1 for now and IP address is 192.168.10.0. Im not quite sure if the CUCM/UC server should be assigned an IP on the Data or Voice Vlan. If I assign it a Voice VLAN IP then I wont be able to manage it from the data vlan. I have not found any documentation on what VLAN to set the server on. Does the port have to be a trunk port assigned to the servers? What am I missing here?

The documentation you are looking for is the SRND. It will give best practices for setting up voice and data Vlans. I've seen people do both, and I've done both. Its just a matter of ensuring the phones can reach the server for TFTP.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would of bet money that the CUCM would of have to been on the voice vlan to work. I was thrown off a bit by my 1760 router with the WIC-4esw module. By default the switch ports are set to L2 and I had to create VLANs on the router and assign the ports to a vlan for it to work. Its almost exactly how my UC520 was set up. I think the router on the stick will work fine on a single port connecting to the trunk port of the switch. I was excited to assign ports 1-2 to vlan 1 and ports 3-4 to Vlan 55 and totally forgot about the IP helper command.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
    Yeah, the configs do kind of throw you off at first. Instead of subinterfaces, it's configured like a L3 switch. Create the VLAN interfaces, create the VLANs, and then assign to the etherswitch module ports.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Most CUCM deployments are done as router on a stick. I've done BVI's and so on, but in all the years, I haven't had one failure that was caused by using just 1 port for the connection to the server. In the virtual world its a little different, I do use multiple ports coming out of the box.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    OK, I have the CUCM/UC servers up and running. Phones are auto registering and I can call Phones and make them ring. Big step step for me and Im planning my next goal. Have traffic no go to the PSTN via my FXO card in my router. Now it made sense to me when I used the CME to ring out but its not clear to me how traffic gets from the CUCM to the proper FXO port. Here was the commands I used for CME.

Voice-port 0/0/0
    signal ground start
    connection plar opx 724-941-XXXX
    caller id enable
    cptone us
    dial-type dtmf
    Ring number 1

Im sure I'm way off but seeking advice again. Do I even need to set the Gateway up like this or is there a different way. Im thinking its in the next chapter with building the dial plans with destination patterns. Is there a fast config to get my phones ringing the POTS?
    Did you create a dial peer for the FXO port?
    From what Im reading from CUCM/UC guide from Cisco, I just have to add 2 commands to the router for MCGP to work and the rest is don via the GUI in CUCM. From there I was checking out and I just select what router Im using and what VIC cards are in which slot. Select MCGP for the protocol and Im up and running. Seems to easy. I will report back.

ccm-manager config server "ip address of CUCM"
    ccm-manager config
    My bad...didn't know you were going for MGCP. Yeah, I read the same thing. Create the Gateway in CUCM and in IOS

ccm-manager config
    ccm-manager config server "ip address of TFTP server"

I know you are using one server, but this comes into play when you have servers with different services. The router will pull the MGCP gateway config from the TFTP server. Also, remember to have it in the correct order. The ccm-manager config server command will be ignored without first enabling ccm-manger config.