70-686 Question

NimraynnNimraynn Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have been studying for my MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician for a few months after I was sent on a 5-day course a while back, and on Monday morning, I happily passed the 70-682 exam to upgrade from my MCDST XP.

Now, I have been considering also looking at the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Administrator, as at present, we currently run XP and the new year is bringing a huge project to upgrade our 3,000 client machine base from Windows XP to Windows 7, so this could be very useful.

Looking on the Microsoft Learning pages, I can see that you are required to take the 70-680 and the 70-686 exam to be able to acquire this qualification.

My question is, as I have done the 70-682, am I right in saying I can jump straight into the 70-686 when I'm ready? No need to do the 70-680 before hand?

Thanks,
Mike.:)

Comments

• MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums. You're right, there is no requirement to take 680 first. I actually did this myself. I'm not sure which order is better. After studying for and passing 686, the 680 was almost entirely review for me and very easy. On the other hand, if you take the 680 first, it could serve as a stepping stone to 686.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    The 70-686 alone will not get you the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Administrator.

70-680 = MCTS
    70-686 = MCSA
    70-680 + 70-686 = MCITP
  • NimraynnNimraynn Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    MentholMoose, thanks for your reply. I thought as much but I wasn't too sure as it wasn't hugely clear on the website.

lsud006d, I understand that, but my question wasn't "can I just do the 686". My question was, as I have done the 682, do I need to do the 680? I don't want to waste my time doing the 680 if the 682 will suffice. icon_wink.gif
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Sounds good, just wanted to provide clarification! Good luck on the 70-686 icon_cheers.gif
  • BudzyBudzy Member Posts: 117
    The 70-686 will get you the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 certification as long as you hold the MCTS: Windows 7 Configuration certification. (Which you have already by upgrading from your XP MCDST via the 70-682 exam route).

So in answer to your question, yes in your circumstance, you can just take the 686 to fulfil the requirements.

Do bear in mind the 70-686 is due to retire by July 2013. I'm planning on taking it before this time as I too have also passed the 682 exam (I upgraded from the Vista EST rather than the XP MCDST).

Best bet if you're ever unsure of exam requirements is to log into mcp.microsoft.com and review the 'Certification Planner'.

Please also note (as others have said) exams can be taken in any order.

Hope this helps and good luck :)
  • RomBUSRomBUS Member Posts: 699 ■■■■□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    The 70-686 alone will not get you the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Administrator.

70-680 = MCTS
    70-686 = MCSA
    70-680 + 70-686 = MCITP

MCSA: Windows 7 is equal to MCITP: Windows 7 EDA? (just renamed) Not just 686 gives you MCSA? You have to have both I thought
    RomBUS wrote: »
    MCSA: Windows 7 is equal to MCITP: Windows 7 EDA? (just renamed) Not just 686 gives you MCSA? You have to have both I thought

Correct, gaining either the windows 7 MCITP: EST or EDA will award the MCSA in Windows 7.
  • pizzaboypizzaboy Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    70-686 will not be retiring July 2013. Only the name "MCITP" will be retiring.
    God deserves my best
    pizzaboy wrote: »
    70-686 will not be retiring July 2013. Only the name "MCITP" will be retiring.

Sorry my bad. Yeah it's just the MCITP name.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good riddance. The MCSA 7 is much more marketable IMO.

I'll be taking 686 shortly without taking 680. The Sybex book is really a solid read.
  • EspiOneEspiOne Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just to add to the other comments, 682 gives you both 680 and 685, so you don't need to take 680 (over again). I am taking the 686 next month, and your carreer planner should show this.

I am using Sybex, Mircosoft Press and CBT.