Suggestion for IT vs Engineer Career

Talha_Alam 56Talha_Alam 56 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all senior and junior members of this site. Actually I wants to know about that how much IT certifications have demands currently I am doing Bs(ETE) which I m going to specialized network programming and in artificial intelignece and hopeful to complete it in 2015. I have a lot of interest in programming like I have a solid grip on C, C++, C#,java and the most one important I have also a lot of knowledge about hacking icon_lol.gif. here which I am focusing more about is about my career because my family members are saying that future has no scope for telecom engineers. Now there are many possibilities are moving around in my minds what path should I choose so that I can get 150k+ here is some plan track path does in future these certs have values..... Specially in New zealand and in Australia. icon_rolleyes.gif
1: BS-Telecom ( specialized with network programing,Wireless networking and artifical intelgince )
2: MS-Networking (Specialization in network programming)
3: CompTiA Network+
4: CCNA( Cisco Certified Network Associate in Routing and Switching)
5: CCNP( Cisco Certified Network Professional)
6: CCVP(Cisco Certified Voice Professional)
7: CWNA( Certified Wireless Network Administrator)
8: CWNP(Certified Wireless Network Professional)
9: CEH( Certified Ethical Hcker)
10: CCIE( Cisco Certified Internet Expert in Routing and Switching)

Comments

• GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I did my first degree in computer science minoring in electrical. I also just came back from Aus/New Zealand after 2 years of work on both sides of the ditch.
    First off forget the money aspect and pick something you want to do for 40 years.

On the New Zealand side would land that kind of money at telecom or vodafone I doubt anywhere else. CCIE would also prly be the ticket as there are so few in the country and about 90% of them work for the two companies. Besides that I don't think salaries in IT are worth staying in NZ unless you get to a senior level you move up faster and earn 25% more by working in NZ. the only really well paying IT jobs I've are either in GOV out in Wellington or Finance in Auckland everything else is way underpaid. The need for senior engineers isn't really very big as most of the large companies will have the majority of there IT departments based in AUS as financially it makes more sense.

As for Aus to make that kind of money you'd probably need to be in Sydney/Adelaide(gov). Melbourne and Perth might be close but it would be alot harder to hit that range.

If you're talking about what is better paying currently. Programmers/Software devs/Pen testers etc get paid alot more than senior systems people unless you're in sydney with one of the finance guys.

Your list is a jumble of networking and programming outside of the CCIE that looks more like a resume for a Pen tester and i don't know why any pen tester would have a CCIE on his resume that's far outside the scope of his field.

I work for an engineering firm now. Engineer = p.eng.
    I find IT makes more in base but engineers with overtime can double our salaries if they want. There is always more work for them.
  • Talha_Alam 56Talha_Alam 56 Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So u thinks that in those countries the engineers have more demands than as compared to IT professionals....
  • StussyNzStussyNz Member Posts: 177
    GAngel wrote: »
    I did my first degree in computer science minoring in electrical. I also just came back from Aus/New Zealand after 2 years of work on both sides of the ditch.
    First off forget the money aspect and pick something you want to do for 40 years.

On the New Zealand side would land that kind of money at telecom or vodafone I doubt anywhere else. CCIE would also prly be the ticket as there are so few in the country and about 90% of them work for the two companies. Besides that I don't think salaries in IT are worth staying in NZ unless you get to a senior level you move up faster and earn 25% more by working in NZ. the only really well paying IT jobs I've are either in GOV out in Wellington or Finance in Auckland everything else is way underpaid. The need for senior engineers isn't really very big as most of the large companies will have the majority of there IT departments based in AUS as financially it makes more sense.

As for Aus to make that kind of money you'd probably need to be in Sydney/Adelaide(gov). Melbourne and Perth might be close but it would be alot harder to hit that range.

If you're talking about what is better paying currently. Programmers/Software devs/Pen testers etc get paid alot more than senior systems people unless you're in sydney with one of the finance guys.

Your list is a jumble of networking and programming outside of the CCIE that looks more like a resume for a Pen tester and i don't know why any pen tester would have a CCIE on his resume that's far outside the scope of his field.

I work for an engineering firm now. Engineer = p.eng.
    I find IT makes more in base but engineers with overtime can double our salaries if they want. There is always more work for them.

Just to clarify did you mean that "salaries in IT are worth staying in NZ unless you get to a senior level you move up faster and earn 25% more by working in "NZ." - Did you mean that you Earn 25% more by working in Aussie than in NZ?

I'm currently in NZ and am looking at hoping over the ditch in the next year/2014. Are there much more demand for IT professionals over there? Would be looking at moving to Sydney. Really interested to see what everyones views are on working in Australia rather than NZ.
    So u thinks that in those countries the engineers have more demands than as compared to IT professionals....

I wouldn't say the demand is more or less but higher paying salaries if you factor the overtime always available because of the huge projects underway.
    StussyNz wrote: »
    Just to clarify did you mean that "salaries in IT are worth staying in NZ unless you get to a senior level you move up faster and earn 25% more by working in "NZ." - Did you mean that you Earn 25% more by working in Aussie than in NZ?

I'm currently in NZ and am looking at hoping over the ditch in the next year/2014. Are there much more demand for IT professionals over there? Would be looking at moving to Sydney. Really interested to see what everyones views are on working in Australia rather than NZ.

25% more working in AUS unless you're a senior tech or management.
    A huge amount of young kiwi's head to aus for 5-10 years to establish themselves then come back. it's almost the norm now and in our field the pay is significantly higher. There are alot more jobs but the population is also 5x as large. Sydney has a huge tech scene and knowing what i do now I probably would have skipped NZ totally.