Options

LPI Renew Policy

gtirlonigtirloni Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
LPI started as a lifetime certification, then moved to 10 years, then 5 years now they are suggesting 2 years. I wonder how long it'll be mandatory to re-certify every 2 years.

I allowed my LPIC-1 certification to expire for various reasons but I was looking into taking the 201/202 exams to achieve LPIC-2.

Does anyone know if I'm allowed to take the 201/202 exams even if the LPIC-1 exams are expired? Do I have to re-certify at LPIC-1 and then finally at LPIC-2 ?

The information I found is confusing and I haven't heard back from LPI on this one.

Comments

• Options
    log32log32 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 217
    As far as I know, you will have to take LPIC-1 again, if you were to take LPIC-2 (Either 201 or 202) before the expiration date, then it wouldve re-new'ed your old LPIC-1 cert.
  • Options
    gtirlonigtirloni Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was reading their renew policy and found this (looks like you're right):

Policies | Linux Professional Institute (LPI)

When a higher level certification designation is earned, the status of all lower level designations are considered ACTIVE for FIVE years from the date of the higher level certification designation. However, candidates who do not recertify and allow their certification status to lapse will be required to earn their current and all lower level certification designations, should they subsequently pursue reactivating their certification status.

Thanks for replying.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Dolev explained it well. I intent to keep my LPIC-1 current by taking LPIC-2 just before 1 expires. Sad if they make it expire after 2 years. That will definitely not add new candidates.
    I wonder if CompTIA would follow suit with their L+ cert if LPIC decides to shorten the lifetime to 2 years. Maybe they aren't as eager to shoot themselves in the foot?
    In case they do and if you are still looking for entry-level Linux cert, either LPIC-1 or L+ would still be worth something, since you'd get accompanying Novell certs and may decide to follow Novell cert path since their certs don't expire that quickly...
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Urghhhh..... Every two years, Not good!!!!!

That is too often.
  • Options
    twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    don't see any comment on two year renewal.

Think it is crazy to renew every 2 years if that is correct information.
    Not realistic for working people with multiple certifications.
    Not only becomes time issue but cost factor.