Too many to choose from

LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
I am a complete Linux newbie and just see too many different kinds of linux to choose from. I did look at the comptia objectives for the linux+ cert and they didn't specify a "flavor" of linux in particular that I could see. Could anyone help me out as to give some advice in choosing 1 or 2 to get the hang of???? I would like to just use them to learn linux and have enough knowledge to pass the linux+ cert. Probably in the future once I have some time invested and ALOT more experience with it I would go for other certs.

Thank you

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I agree there are simply too many... but I think RedHat is the wisest choice. Besides it being rather standard, it might show useful when you decide to go for the RHCE exams...
  • nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are a lot to pick from, try www.linuxiso.org and it has most for download.

I would go with RedHat when you study for Linux+ because even though it's a neutral exam it has some references and even maybe a question or two on RedHat stuff, like how to install, uninstall, update, verify RPM packages from console. RPM=RedHat Package Management(I think, my best guess). Also some debian package questions too.

I am going to be taking my Linux+ exam in about a 2 or 3 weeks, I'll will post my experiance on here and then you can check it out if you haven't taken yours yet.

I got the Exam Cram book a few days ago and read it over once already, Linux+ just scatches the surface and is fairly basic, a lot of questions are just hardware or network questions. This is good if you want to pass but not too good to use as a certification to get a Linux admin job, but it's a good start. More advanced ones are available from other vendors.

If you are going to try some different Linux distros by downloading the .ISO file and buring to CD, give FreeBSD a try it's a little difficult at first but it's fast not bloated like redhat will be and has a really good package management system also can run Linux programs. They have a good handbook at their website that will help you along...this is off topic now.

Yes, just go with RedHat or Mandrake which is redhat based but more friendly to new users AND they don't have a lot of annoying pictures of RED HATS all over the place which gets old fast. Mandrake also has an easy to use partition resizer built into the install which is the best install I've seen on any OS period, that was version 8.0 should be even better today.

If you have any Linux or BSD questions I'm the one to ask, been using it for years now but just started getting certifications.

Best of luck to you.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RedHat is a good start.

If you have a nice wide pipe it could be helpful download a few flavors. Obtain an old drive for a spare and try installing several other flavors - just for the experience of using different install systems - Anaconda, Yast etc.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Sorry for the slow responce, I've been caught up battling the blaster worm at work for the past 2 days....*ugh* First of all, thank you for all the input. Second, damn they are some big files to download...!!!!! Right now im downloading Mandrake 9.1, and I think i'm going to purchase a copy of Red Hat. I know that they are free, but It wouldn't hurt to have some documentation an technical support for at least a lil while on my first linux box. Well, back to work for me........

I'll post some of my comments/blunders probably by the end of the weekend
    So true. Personally I like to get a little documentation every now and then. I'm just downloading Yopers to give it a try as my mates tell me it is bloody good.
    www.supercross.com
  • nethersdenizennethersdenizen Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nothing wrong with buying it at the store, helps support all the work that went into it. I used to buy them at the store, last one I got was Mandrake 7.0 but then they keep updating all the time and it gets expensive. The books they provide in the box are ok but books for the book store tend to more detailed and indepth.

You also get phone support if you have problems when you buy the product retail at the store, or atleast they did a few years ago. The ones from the store also include some extra programs.
  • LexxdymondzLexxdymondz Member Posts: 356
    Came across this today, and thought it would be a good idea to post the link. Definately a good start for the linux newbies like me. I got to master the first like 12 commands out of how many?? lol

Definately a good place to start though...

http://www.linuxsurvival.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=1&meid=-1
  • curiocurio Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    here is a couple of pages I did on Linux when RH7 first came out - a while back now. For newbies it is plenty to take in, I still go back to it when I forget what the hell I am doing. I hope it helps you out.
  • bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    do you batter the fish or roast them?
    A+ Moderator
    That's funny I am sure I put 'when I forget what the He|| I am doing'.
    They aren't aliens?
    Damnn!
  • crc32crc32 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am a complete Linux newbie and just see too many different kinds of linux to choose from. I did look at the comptia objectives for the linux+ cert and they didn't specify a "flavor" of linux in particular that I could see. Could anyone help me out as to give some advice in choosing 1 or 2 to get the hang of???? I would like to just use them to learn linux and have enough knowledge to pass the linux+ cert. Probably in the future once I have some time invested and ALOT more experience with it I would go for other certs.

Thank you

You can go with any distro you want just be ready to part with the GUI and learn alot from the console if your going for linux+. Some people believe choosing a distro that does not come with a cool installer or GUI is good as it forces you to learn the nuts and bolts of linux. Others believe users will enjoy Red hat and Mandrake type installs just to get them started playing with linux. Its just a matter of can you trust your self to not be spoiled by the GUI and totally avoid the console?
    Guess I picked the wrong time to graduate. :|
  • vantagevantage Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    if you wannan go with a command line installer go with gentoo , you like the portage system but you should learn how to use all the other packaging systems and how to compile source on your own

might seem a little hard at first theres always support on irc.freenode.net #gentoo and dont be supprised if it takes you a day or two

just remember its case senstive
  • DisleyDisley Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gentoo is a bit much for any persons first distro; theres nothing fun in spending hours and hours trying to recompile and install a kernel properly. Although i agree that portage is awesome :)

Slackware is the choice for me :) i like Suse too.....

(with RedHat or possibly even Mandrake, prepare for a nightmare of dependancy problems)
    Suse - have to comment about this.
    Recently our head engineer was at a Novell training day and was supplied with an amazing Suse kit - 6 disks and a pretty good manual to go with it too. I think now that Novell has Suse that we will find it becoming more prevalent out there.
    www.supercross.com
  • GhentGhent Member Posts: 310
    If you don't want to deal with downloading/burning ISO's for this, try http://www.linuxcd.org. They sell just about every flavor of Linux/BSD you can think of on CD, for about $5 a pop.
    Prais'd be the fathomless universe, for life and joy, and for objects and knowledge curious.' Whalt Whitman