Thanks much - Passed CISSP Today.

wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hey, just wanted to think the forum for all the great info on here - it really help in prepping for the test. Just wanted to do a post with some info to maybe help anyone out there that is planning on taking CISSP.

There is plenty of info on the content and style of the test out there already, so just look and you can find all you need to know about what to study. I did security+ last month as a warmup/review and think it was helpful. For CISSP, I mostly used the 1st edition Syngress book - nice and concise and well written. Also the docs on cccure.org and the paid practice tests there were great. I was scoring around 80% on 250 question practice tests and taking 60-75 minutes. Actual test took me about 2.5 hours. I didn't flag or review any questions, just answered them as they came up.

I have two pieces of advice on taking the test:

1 - The center didn't seem to have a solid handle on taking breaks and bringing snacks/drinks. You are not allowed to get back into your locker, and since you are not allowed to bring anything into the test center with you, I ended up leaving my pop and snacks setting on top of the lockers, but they might let you set it behind a desk or something if you ask. At first, they were like "No breaks", but guess they talked and worked out that breaks were allowed. I took two - one after 100 questions, and another after 175.

2. I scheduled my test to start at 2:00PM. When I first starting planning taking the exam, I was not psyched about starting at 8:00AM, as I move a little slow in the morning and the testing center is an hour away. With starting at 2:00 - I slept in a bit, did some review, drove to town, ate lunch, and then started the test. Not sure if all testing centers have start times that late, but if you are also not a morning person, you might look into it.

Going to get my paperwork together tonight and hope to get it sent off tomorrow.

Comments

• YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations! Nice advice on taking incremental breaks during a long exam.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congratulations!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • SkyBlueSkyBlue Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations....You deserved it. Now party time!

What is next?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass!
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks much!

Not sure about what is next - was thinking at least studying for CASP, even if I don't take the test, since GSEC is to much $$$ right now. Or maybe some Cisco stuff - I have been doing Wellfleet/Bay/Nortel/Avaya and Enterasys for a while since those are on the state contracts, but never Cisco.
  • ThistlebackThistleback Member Posts: 151
    Congratulations on your pass!
    Feel the fear, and do it anyway!
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Got my Official welcome email today - took a little over three weeks.
  • odog007odog007 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass..