ECSA Certification

coolz203coolz203 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello,

Has anybody had any experience with the EC council ECSA certification? It seems interesting.

Comments

• the_hutchthe_hutch Banned Posts: 827
    What do you want to know?
  • coolz203coolz203 Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would like to know:

- Is it possible to self study?
    - Is it more difficult than CEH?
    - Is it worth it?

Thanks!
    Probably about the same difficulty as CEH, just different content (the test is pretty short though...I think it was somewhere between 50 and 75 questions). I don't know of any self-study material...I used the official EC-Council material.

Is it worth it...??? Probably not. The course was decent...but having the title hasn't done much for my career.
  • down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Respect wise you would do better having either the OSCP, GPEN/GCIH/GREM/etc behind you. The ECSA/LPT program is ok but most companies would prefer their pen testing candidate to have more hands on/real world experience and credentials.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • DrackarDrackar Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The ECSA was not more difficult. It was just more in-depth on on the CEH topics. From just a personal standpoint. I do not feel like my ECSA has increased my opportunities in the industry and I have found that the SANS course hold a bit more weight with employers.

Still, I think the ECSA is an attainable goal if you want to self study.

Just my two cents...
    To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.
    -- Kokoro by Natsume Sosek, 1914, Japan
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Not worth it IMO, if I were you, I would look at Security University's QSA/LPT. Similar in many ways to the ECSA, you'll be prepared for the ECSA, but the focus of the class is practical, and the SU cert requires a practical component. I should be taking it in 2013.

(FYI, its not likely to be recognized by employers, but thats where you can sell it to them, emphasizing the practical experience component.)
    I agree with the general consensus that it is not the best investment of time.