30 days out - where should I focus?

CorzaCorza Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Team,

As stated I am 30 days out from the ROUTE exam. I have been studying for a few months and have finished the book. I have done the lab guide along the way. Overall, I have not found the material that confusing or hard, but I do not want to be complacent with it either and think it is easy.

Can people that have done the exam point me into a specific direction on the material I should be focusing on the most? I will be doing revision over all of it, but if there are any areas where people feel that I should focus that would be great. Thanks.

Comments

• mattaumattau Member Posts: 218
    I think the ROUTE SLM is good to go through which you already have. Gives you a good insight to what you need to know.
    I would probably be comfortable with ipv6, route redistribution and in general just getting syntax for route filtering correct. Whether it be access lists route maps prefix lists or whatever.

• SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    You should focus on the areas you think you need to focus on.

I'd go back and review BGP, IPv6 and OSPF.

OSPF tends to be a large topics, Area types/LSAs/Virtual-links, router types
    Same with BGP, metrics/attributes, iBGP vs eBGP. BGP usually tends to be an intimidating subject for some.
    IPv6 just cause it's IPv6 and not really focused on.

Maybe review redistribution as well. that can be very intimidating, spend some extra time labbing that to make sure you understand the concept and the way you understand the concept is correct.

Those are topics I've seen some jr engineer struggle with while going after ROUTE. But everyone studies differently truly you are the only one that can answer this question.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd also throw in some PBR. Not the kind that has alcohol but the kind that involves route-maps. :)
  • wavewave Member Posts: 342
    1. Policy Based Routing
    2. Purchase the Boson Ex-sim Max practice tests. They are definitely worth it!! Take Exam A then review every single question, even the ones you answered correctly. Read all of the notes and references Boson provide.

Good luck!

ROUTE Passed 1 May 2012
    SWITCH Passed 25 September 2012
    TSHOOT Passed 23 October 2012
    Taking CCNA Security in April 2013 then studying for the CISSP
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What the others have said, plus redistribution.

I'd go over and really indepth into the labs for one week. Do two weeks of the book and theory, then one week of revision.
    The labs will pay you back handsomely. Practice the PBR, OSPF (and virtual links), redistribution, and BGP. Know how to do their basics in your sleep and the rest will come much more easily to you.

@f0rgiv3n: what is this alcohol, and where can I subscribe to it?
  • union122union122 Member Posts: 41 ■■■□□□□□□□
    As I'm studying route too, about a month in. I would say bgp, ipv6. And redistribution needs the most coverage.
  • CorzaCorza Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the tips guys! Hopefully I can update this with a "I passed" quote in a months time.

Cheers