Accounting Skills for IS Auditing?

halaakajanhalaakajan Member Posts: 167
Do we need Accounting Skills to become an Auditor?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I suppose it depends on what type of auditing you are considering. I know of several programmers who moved into auditing with nothing more than college-level math skills.
  • GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    halaakajan wrote: »
    Do we need Accounting Skills to become an Auditor?

Thanks in advance.
    I went into IT audit with never taking a accounting class - I have to tell you I struggled initially, and the learning curve was very steep.

Now that I've taken a number of accounting classes for my MBA, I can see their value in auditing - I would recommend having some accounting/auditing experience before doing pure IT audit.
  • rscrtrscrt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    GoodBishop wrote: »
    I went into IT audit with never taking a accounting class - I have to tell you I struggled initially, and the learning curve was very steep.

Same for me. Having accounting awareness can make your life easier, but it is no problem to learn as you work and catch up.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    A few years ago, I found myself thrust into internally auditing (and supporting the external audits) of IT financial systems with only college level accounting classes under my belt. The learning curve isn't too steep. Learning the culture, the acronyms, and the business processes did take a bit of time. I left 3 years later (last month) feeling like an efficient pro.