i need to know

g.rangerg.ranger Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
how many questions does one get wrong in order pass sec+? i know the pass mark score but how many do i get wrong out 100 questions and still pass?

any ideas?

Comments

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I don't think every question is weighed the same on the grading scale...

I know I have pretty much decided that I cannot "mark" any more than 18 on the test.

As with most people when I mark a question it means I'm not 100% sure on it. Could be because I was torn between 2 answeres or just didnt know at all.

On the network+ I marked 25 questions... A little more than I wanted to and I acheived a score of 707.

Idealy you want to be able to take the test without doubting any of your answers and you want to be 100% sure on every answer, so obviously shoot for the best you can... I am just throwing the number of 18 you think could be wrong as a cut off poitn that I am going to use for myself.
  • Non-Profit TechieNon-Profit Techie Member Posts: 418 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i think you need to score about an 85% on the test to pass. so yeah, i think its about 15-18 questions as well that you can get wrong. Dont take this test until you are ready for it.
    i think you need to score about an 85% on the test to pass. so yeah, i think its about 15-18 questions as well that you can get wrong. Dont take this test until you are ready for it.

To play it safe I would stick with 15.
  • cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    Hey Megadeth,

Hows it going? I've been following along behind you at about the same pace the last couple months. Do you still think 5-6 weeks will be enough study time to do it? I'm about 1/2 way thru my first book and I see a lot details that I'm going to have to study. Just wanted to get another opinion. I guessing about 2 months total time with past experience in general and I should be ready (I hope). Keep chugging along...

What do ya think, can we do it?
    To protect and to serve(r)...
    Hehe... I've had to re-assess the amount of time this one will take to study for icon_redface.gif

I finished my first book last weekened, however I want to go through and re-read the Cryptography chapter...

The first half of the book honestly was cake... I did great on the practice tests in the book ect... The Second half of the book covered a lot of stuff I don't have much background with and I found it to be much harder material for me.

Doesn't help that I havent had any time this week (except here at work to look at the technotes now and a gain) to study.... Been working on some side jobs and spending a lot of time with my fiance.... Tonight will actually be the first night I will have to myself since the weekend to read my second book.

I'm thinking I will be taking the exam some time in april. Which is OK... I still have time.
  • cairtakercairtaker Member Posts: 140
    I am aiming towards first week of May. Don't know if that will happen, cause I won't take it until I am sure I can pass it...No throwing money away here...Can't afford to...
    To protect and to serve(r)...
  • nachiusnachius Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe there are no weighted questions on Security+

It is out of 900 possible points, at about 9 points per question.

You need a 764 to pass, IE about 85%.

I marked 9 questions when I took the test and got an 820. This is right on track for 9 points out of 900 per question.

So that being the case it would seem if you miss any more than 15 you will not pass.
    nachius wrote:
    I believe there are no weighted questions on Security+

It is out of 900 possible points, at about 9 points per question.

You need a 764 to pass, IE about 85%.

I marked 9 questions when I took the test and got an 820. This is right on track for 9 points out of 900 per question.

So that being the case it would seem if you miss any more than 15 you will not pass.

Just curious a bout a few things...

1. The scale is 100 - 900 So that means you start with 100 points... Does that mean the next 100 questions have to equal another 800 points? Does this mean that each question is worth 8 points then?

2. This is in regards to the questions being weighed differently.
    What do they mean exactly when they put percentage values on the objectives? Is this the amount of questions asked on that subject or is it the amount that those questions are worth at the end of the exam?

If each question is worth 9 points then you should be able to miss 15 at the most to give you a score of 765. If each question is worth 8 points then you can miss 17 questions to give you the minimum score of 764.

Just some thoughts... I'm not saying I'm correct I'm just pointing out some things to think about. I can say that I do think my first post of 18 is wrong.... I would say that as long as you are 100% sure with the other 85 questions then marking 15 should be the most you mark.
  • Trust me, even if you know the objectives better than the back of your hand, you can EASILY miss 15 questions before you know what hit you. Yeah, you can miss about 12-15 questions, but remember, that means you need to correctly answer about 82-85 questions. Missing 15 from a pool of 100 is all too easy. This exam should not be underestimated, and with a large pricetag, don't give yourself not enough time to study because you will pay (literally) for it in the end.
  • thedonsthedons Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    During my recent exam, I worked on the basis that I could get 15 questions wrong and still pass.

In the end I had 14 questions that I wasn't 100% sure of, and I passed with 796. I know that I got at least one of the questions that I was sure of wrong and I know that at least 2 of the questions I wasn't sure of I got right, so in the end it worked out ok.

I think that if you aim for a maximum of 15 that you're not 100% sure of then you'll be ok. If you exceed this then you need to start worrying icon_biggrin.gif
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Here's my advice. Dont concentrate so much on these percentages and number of questions. Focus on mastering the objectives and you'll be fine.
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    keatron wrote:
    Here's my advice. Dont concentrate so much on these percentages and number of questions. Focus on mastering the objectives and you'll be fine.
    I agree.

And just to get it out of the way:

Only CompTIA knows the details and they don't disclose such info, but, assuming all questions are created equal, have the same value, you should answer at least 83 questions correctly.

The exam is scored on a 100-900 scale. That's 800 points you can score, 100 questions, 8 points per question. You need 764 to pass, hence you need to score 664 points (you already get the first 100, scale 100-900) which is 83 x 8. This seems to be right when you look at the scores people got in this forum (all 900 minus a multiple of icon_cool.gif.