StraighterLine vs. WGU gen. ed. courses

datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
The majority of posts I see about WGU have everyone transferring in gen. ed. courses, unfortunately, I need to complete a number of gen. ed. for my BS in IT at WGU (starting after first of year). I've also seen a number of posts mention taking some of the gen. ed. classes prior to starting WGU from places like StraighterLine to knock them out before beginning WGU.

Is there any benefit time-wise/course duration to taking gen. ed. courses at StraighterLine before WGU or just taking them at WGU? Monetarily..I think the courses work out to about $100 a piece at SL.

Thanks
Datschmo

Comments

• Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Its not really $100 per course. Its $99 for membership + $39 per course. Its really $139 a month if your taking one class at a time. Any additional courses will tack on $39 to the monthly bill.
  • datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Beyond the cost...I'm looking to knock out the gen. ed. courses as quick as possible. Was looking for input on WGU vs. straighterline for the non-IT courses.
  • theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was looking into taking the SL courses but I decided it would just be easier and less hassle to take the WGU courses.
    Well from what I read on the WGU posts the gen ed classes aren't to bad. I think its comparing apples to oranges because for both I read about ppl knocking out courses in 1-2 weeks. It really depends on your budget I'd say just go for WGU if you have funds to do so. But if you don't just yet you could knock out a few classes on straighterline to get you head start once you enroll.
  • nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    I looked into this as well and I MAY be wrong but I thought that WGU only accepts proctured test/grades from Straightline so its an additional 39 or something per test...

I just decided to do it the less hassle way but straightline is pretty good value.
    Your right I do remember reading that on the SL website.
  • ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    I'm planning on having my wife do some SL before WGU (carefully picked ones, of course), mainly to give her a taste of classes without a lecturer and the whole online aspect. If she's comfortable with the self-paced, online, aspect then we'll enroll her in WGU.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • datschmodatschmo Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for everyone's input.

Valsacar: Good point about trying out SL first, since I haven't taken any courses without a lecturer.
  • StraighterLineStraighterLine Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nosoup4u wrote: »
    I looked into this as well and I MAY be wrong but I thought that WGU only accepts proctured test/grades from Straightline so its an additional 39 or something per test...

I just decided to do it the less hassle way but straightline is pretty good value.

Just a heads up, StraighterLine now charges $49 for the course registration fee but it now includes the final exam proctored. Saves anyone transferring to WGU $20 per course now. And you are correct, WGU requires proctored final exams.
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Quick googling around brings up several mixed reviews. I don't drop money for anything mixed. When my time comes, I am going to keep it simple and do WGU all the way.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • DevilryDevilry Member Posts: 668
    From what I understand, all of straighterlines courses are not proctored. They have increased the normal fees but removed the proctor fee. WGU only accepts proctored courses from straighterline. I took a few courses, they really are great and you can run through a lot of them quick.
  • k.o.r.k.o.r. Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    In what cases will your enrollment counselor advice to take the SL path initially? Thanks.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Devilry wrote: »
    From what I understand, all of straighterlines courses are not proctored. They have increased the normal fees but removed the proctor fee. WGU only accepts proctored courses from straighterline. I took a few courses, they really are great and you can run through a lot of them quick.

You mean all Straighterline courses ARE proctored?

[Edit] In hindsight, I suppose you meant that previously NOT ALL Straighterline courses were proctored.

How online proctoring works - StraighterLine
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    k.o.r. wrote: »
    In what cases will your enrollment counselor advice to take the SL path initially? Thanks.

Most likely when you do not have any transferable college credits.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]