Options

Program for doing CCNP labs

jwcalifojwcalifo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi everyone,

I have Cisco's Packet Tracer and I used it to practice and do labs to get my CCNA. However, I am now studying CCNP and I have realized that it has limited functionality as far as CCNP configurations go. For example, using the MLS in PT, you can't configure HSRP (the "standby" command just isn't available). Is there a simulator program that I can use to do the labs in the lab book that I've purchased for CCNP? I have looked at GNS3 but it's kind of ridiculous that you have to have a copy of the ISO image files for each device. Thanks.

JW

Comments

• Options
    xbuzzxbuzz Member Posts: 122
    Yeah, it's a question I think most people doing cisco certifications have. The only legal way of getting an IOS to run on gns3 is to buy a router with that ios on it, then copy it off. I myself have 3 routers and 2 switches. I mostly just use GNS3 these days, as it's so convenient, takes less power etc. It's definitely worth spending the 100-200 on a router with the ios you want, then using it on GNS3, particularly if you're doing CCNP.

Using Cisco IOS images on GNS3 isn't exactly 100% legal, but Cisco have refused to comment on it over the past few years. They gain nothing from having a hardline on professionals trying to learn how to use their products in any case. The more people trained to use their products the more they sell in the long run.
  • Options
    waragiwaragi Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are ios that are end of life that are more than sufficient for ccnp.
    What the legal standing on that is internationally is i dont know.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    jwcalifo wrote: »
    Is there a simulator program that I can use to do the labs in the lab book that I've purchased for CCNP? I have looked at GNS3 but it's kind of ridiculous that you have to have a copy of the ISO image files for each device. Thanks.

JW

CCNP Network Simulator & Router Simulator | NetSim 8.0

Personally, I think you're better off buy real gear. You can build a good small lab for less than the cost of netsim. And you can always sell it once you're done.