CUCM/UC Training

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
Since doing a full CUCM/UC install is outside the Scope of the CCNAV exam, were can I get some decent training on installation of CUCM/UC? My current level position requires me to just administor our CUCM/UC but not to set it up. Our current network architect is in charge of that and not willing to devulge his trade secrets if he even had any. So if its training videos or books, I would like to learn as much as I can. After 2 weeks of owning a UC520 i felt like I mastered it and can install it into any small business. CUCM Business 6000 and CUCM/UC is where the big boys play and thats where I would like to be. So if anyone has field notes or literature can you please point me to it.
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    Since doing a full CUCM/UC install is outside the Scope of the CCNAV exam, were can I get some decent training on installation of CUCM/UC? My current level position requires me to just administor our CUCM/UC but not to set it up. Our current network architect is in charge of that and not willing to devulge his trade secrets if he even had any. So if its training videos or books, I would like to learn as much as I can. After 2 weeks of owning a UC520 i felt like I mastered it and can install it into any small business. CUCM Business 6000 and CUCM/UC is where the big boys play and thats where I would like to be. So if anyone has field notes or literature can you please point me to it.

2 weeks you can master a UC 560????? Lol There is a lot more involved that what you learned with a 520 when you deploy one for a customer. Cisco SRND is where you can learn the designs of how to build a UC system. Your best bet if you want to get into voice is to find a job that lets you play with voice on a higher level. Practice as much as you can with what you have.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    shodown wrote: »
    2 weeks you can master a UC 560????? Lol There is a lot more involved that what you learned with a 520 when you deploy one for a customer. Cisco SRND is where you can learn the designs of how to build a UC system. Your best bet if you want to get into voice is to find a job that lets you play with voice on a higher level. Practice as much as you can with what you have.

2 Weeks was more of an exaggeration but I feel that I would be 98% comfortable setting it up for a SOHO environment. UC520 8.6 and CCA I feel that you dont even really need CCNA knowledge to setup vs. my 2801 lab with CUE. The learning curve was steep with the 2801 but the UC520 was almost too easy with the wizard and super easy to customize phone images and ringtones. Even site to site VPN and VPN server where very SDM easy. I think I had the UC for about a month and I moved on to CUCM. This is where I was like woah Im going to be spending some time learning this.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You said "mastered" and CCA in the same thread :). Don't let the simplicity of the CCA fool you - it only gives you access to 30% of what the UC5x0 is capable of. I write erase them out of the box set them up via the CLI. Too much "fluff" in the factory config.

As for training - while a little dated,the CBT Nuggets CIPT1 & CIPT2 courses are pretty good.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
    Yeah CCA doesnt' cover a lot of what you can run into in the field. The sad part is you have to call TAC if you aren't advanced UC certified or else they wont' help you t/s a UC500 from the CLI. I do think it gives you a good base so keep at it.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
    LOL from my experience I'm already a few steps above the TAC engineer who fields the calls for the small business products :). But yeah, they are very adamant about not supporting the device via the CLI.
    We are advanced UC certified, so they have no choice but to support CLI, but is you are just small business certified CCA is it. But there are some ways around it. Having your CCIE is one of them.
    Currently Reading

I spent some time last night setting up CUCM and UC to the point where phones were ringing, you can set up your mailbox and leave messages. Partitions and line groups ohh my! I have Three pages so far for a step by step guide for myself, Unreal. Im having issues with my 1760 getting its config from CUCM via MGCP. My current Voice Engineer told me to try H.323 for the older routers because of bugs and the loss of caller ID. Any truth to that? Maybe Im just a tard or something?icon_rolleyes.gif
    Yes, MGCP can be a little buggy. I try not to use it at all - all of our production gateways are H.323. It should work fine on your 2801 though.
    Do you have a PSTN cloud setup in your lab?
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The UC520 is some nice piece of hardware for SMB's but, yes the big fellows play with the CUCM. The first time I setup the UC520 up with another engineer it was for our internal office before we deployed to other customers. It was simple and straight forward so, even the UC320 was easy to deploy. However, when we had to set up CUCM for client's I found out no Cisco or voice cert is going to cover everything you will see with this deployment i.e. UCServer, gateway router, Unity, Exchange and other site setup via MGCP etc... Therefore, please excuse my rant but, the UC520 only scratches the surface of the enterprise voice world. Read Below for some light training:

Search

Cisco ICOMM Introducing Cisco Voice and UC Administration v8.0 at Global Knowledge
    Thanks for the reply cmitchell_00. Cisco did an excellent job and allowing UC520 to deployed in an hour or two my current job is Enterprise level and will rquire me jumping in the deep end with CUCM/UC. Scary thought is I actually like it. So to progress my career past the CCNAV I will be spending the next few years making CUCM/UC my baby! I really want to specialize in Cisco Voice since there is tons of oppurtunity here in Pittsburgh.
  • cmitchell_00cmitchell_00 Member Posts: 250 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply cmitchell_00. Cisco did an excellent job and allowing UC520 to deployed in an hour or two my current job is Enterprise level and will rquire me jumping in the deep end with CUCM/UC. Scary thought is I actually like it. So to progress my career past the CCNAV I will be spending the next few years making CUCM/UC my baby! I really want to specialize in Cisco Voice since there is tons of oppurtunity here in Pittsburgh.

I wish you the best on your future endeavor's. The CUCM is a breast and the voice world I see is where to go in regards to Cisco VOIP. I used to love just networking but, the basic CCNA/Network+ will get you in the door. Now VOIP and network security etc. will keep us in the mix of things with systems work as a add on. I'm a Cisco product lover but, I haven't just got into the mode of just specializing in one thing just yet since I enjoy networking, security, voice. I've been getting a lot of hits on voice deployment's in AZ, CA-west coast etc. area which makes me believe people are back spending on those large scale projects.
    People never stopped spending on large VOIP projects. I'm telling most people t get as many Voice deployments as you can under you belt. VIDEO is going to be HUGE 2013-2014. UC guys already have the inside track, just like route/switch guys had the inside track to data center.
    Currently Reading

Tell me more about a PSTN cloud? I googled it but not sure of the pros and cons.
    PSTN is the oldest network out there. Most people just refer to it as a cloud these days as once your call leaves your network you just have to trust the "cloud" to get it there. My take on it.
    Currently Reading

Tell me more about a PSTN cloud? I googled it but not sure of the pros and cons.

It’s helpful to emulate connections to the “outside” world in your lab – via a router setup as your PSTN cloud. Depending on the hardware you use, this will allow you to test things like T1/E1 PRI end-to-end functionality and emergency number dialing (don’t want to try this with a landline :) ). Plus it makes things a little more fun!
    I was thinking it was more of an emulator like this. ISDN simulator, ISDN BRI Simulator, PRI Simulator, Bulk Call generator
    I was just using my Verizon POTS and a Magic Jack for now. I will need more T1 seat time though.
    You can accomplish the same thing with an older router, some DSP resources, and a couple of VWIC interfaces – search the forum for “PSTN cloud” lots of good info over the years here.
    pitviper wrote: »
    You can accomplish the same thing with an older router, some DSP resources, and a couple of VWIC interfaces – search the forum for “PSTN cloud” lots of good info over the years here.

I use a 2821 for my PSTN WAN and 2nd Gatekeeper. They can be had pretty cheap now.
    Currently Reading

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use an older 3725 with 4 x E1, 1 x T1 for the PSTN and 8 x Smart Serial for the WAN side.

Setting up the translations to correctly set the ISDN Type of Number field for calling and called number is the "fun" part. But once mastered (or at least re-learnt)...

Happy to supply the config if anyone needs a template.
    Has anyone come across this issue before? When you search on the phone under the directory, its says host not found and no names pop up. I was reading that it could be a DNS issue but I have changed the CUCM name to an IP address when I first set it up. Not really sure where to start looking.
    Look in Enterprise Parameters - scroll down until you see the "phone URL" and "secured phone URL" settings, and replace the server name with IP address. Be sure not to remove the port.
    It ended up being a 2 part problem.

1) I never added the person as an end user, duhhh
    2) I really need to configure LDAP to my Domain Controller
    3) My Date/Time Group never had a NTP Reference throwing off the times on the phones.

Im taking my lumps along the way but I am learning a Ton.
    A crazy mans Cisco CUCM lab!