studied for months and still fear I will fail...advice

charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello everyone! I'm new here and will be taking the Project+ PK0-003 on November 14. I am a member of PMI but have no certifications of any type, though, I've got two Masters degrees. Question: I have studied Kim Heldman's CompTIA Project+ book (newest edition) and am reading through it again. Originally I was studying for the CAPM (already have that scheduled for December 14) and have studied Rita's CAPM exam prep, took an online course (for PDU's) in both Project+ (passed) and one for the CAPM (passed).
Problem: I am not dumb having Two MA and taught at the college level for 12 years but I get such test anxiety (even practice exams with the CD in Heldman's book), that I go blank. I can recite the material needed but don't know what to do. I just go blank and don't see any point in continuing to read and study. I know it. I just get to nervous under timed conditions. This goes back to the '90's when I had to take the GRE for grad school. Had a 4.0 GPA entering my first MA program...failed the GRE.
Now, with one week to go I don't know whether to reschedule or just take it. At this moment, I can't even recall what is NOT on the project+ exam but IS on the CAPM! Why? Anxiety.
Failing would really hurt considering the time and effort into it. I would be devastated. Any advice would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'm reading (again) the Heldman book. I'm still confusing the CAPM with project+ since I've registered for both exams and studied for both. And, I do want these certs. The will help. IF I can pass....months of studying and two courses later, I am demoralized and haven't even taken the test.
Thanks.

Comments

• coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello everyone! I'm new here and will be taking the Project+ PK0-003 on November 14. I am a member of PMI but have no certifications of any type, though, I've got two Masters degrees. Question: I have studied Kim Heldman's CompTIA Project+ book (newest edition) and am reading through it again. Originally I was studying for the CAPM (already have that scheduled for December 14) and have studied Rita's CAPM exam prep, took an online course (for PDU's) in both Project+ (passed) and one for the CAPM (passed).
    Problem: I am not dumb having Two MA and taught at the college level for 12 years but I get such test anxiety (even practice exams with the CD in Heldman's book), that I go blank. I can recite the material needed but don't know what to do. I just go blank and don't see any point in continuing to read and study. I know it. I just get to nervous under timed conditions. This goes back to the '90's when I had to take the GRE for grad school. Had a 4.0 GPA entering my first MA program...failed the GRE.
    Now, with one week to go I don't know whether to reschedule or just take it. At this moment, I can't even recall what is NOT on the project+ exam but IS on the CAPM! Why? Anxiety.
    Failing would really hurt considering the time and effort into it. I would be devastated. Any advice would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'm reading (again) the Heldman book. I'm still confusing the CAPM with project+ since I've registered for both exams and studied for both. And, I do want these certs. The will help. IF I can pass....months of studying and two courses later, I am demoralized and haven't even taken the test.
    Thanks.

I passed it, barely lol

Study EVM till you got it cold, without breaking NDA that is the most solid advice I have. Good luck!
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    Charlemagne,

While I cannot help you with the anxiety of exams, I can help you with this:
    The Project+ exam is very straight forward. There are no trick questions. If you know the material, you will find it easy. It is a bit of a marathon at 100 questions. I felt like I had enough questions when I hit 50. However, I did have alot of questions in the second 50 that were very similar to ones I had in the first 50. So, if you know it, you just got 2 right.

Also, you will have plenty of time. I had 90 minutes and finished in less than 45 without really even trying to go fast. Some questions you will be able to answer in 5 seconds...seriously.

Lastly, go over the questions on the CD that came with the Heldman book...repeatedly. There are hundreds of questions on there, and they are very similar to the real questions that you will get. If you downloaded the Kindle book and don't have the CD, you can go to the end of the book and find a link to where you can download the CD.

The exam is pretty easy. Just calm down and you'll be fine.

:)
  • charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for your support! I think I'm well prepared already. Always had the "I have to know 'everything' " feeling regarding standardized exams. Of course, I know this isn't true. Usually, things work out for the best if you've prepared...and I have. Anyway, in the overall scheme of life what's the worst that can happen? Fail...well, I don't think I will but if so, then I'll just try it again. As a teacher I know that if you have a healthy perspective regarding what you perceive to be so important (perception matters a lot), then you'll usually not mess up. So, I've prepared as much as possible and I know all the little "tricks" about Multiple Choice exams (I've given enough of them over the years)...and I'll just go in, do my best, and whatever happens just happens. Very likely a pass and on to other things. If not, I'll just do it again with the good experience knowing what to expect ahead of time.

But...I'll pass. I am feeling better about it. After all, no one (I really doubt) goes into Project+ or the other exams (CAPM, PMP, etc) knowing "everything" in their study guides. It's more important to understand the concepts than rote memorization, at least, that's my experience and I can't imagine Project+ being more difficult than the silly GRE or LSAT exams I took years ago. All will be well.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Failure is nothing to be ashamed of. Not getting back on the horse and trying again..is!

That being said, if you fail, you study more, and you pass. In the end you know more. It's really a win-win. If you prepare properly, you'll be able to handle whatever they throw at you.
    Today's the day!
    How'd you do?
    I rescheduled for December 6. I didn't do this because I feel nervous or unprepared. No. Now that I read my original post, I have to admit I feel quite a bit better and would take it sooner but my son is having some health problems and this comes first. I'm ready for the exam. As I reflect on my original post, I want to say that I took a week, ask myself again why this is important to me, reflected on priorities and then realized that the anxiety I felt was due partially to simply over-studying and placing far too much importance on whether I pass or fail. Once I let go of the idea that this is some life changing event, I wasn't nervous and all the studying was good as I know the material well and just review my notes every couple of days waiting until my new exam day of 12/8. I'll do well. I know I will. I'm very happy I found this forum because it's good to know that there are lots of folks out there that are very happy to offer sound advice and are quite understanding.

Wish I could move it forward but no seats are available. I'll post after my exam how I did. I'm certain of a "pass." Now, I'm considering "what next?" Don't want to take the CAPM just yet...though, I have paid for it I have until June 2013 before PMI begins using PMBOK 5th edition for testing. I am considering ITIL foundation exam. I'm just now learning about such certs. I really need to take two or three more exams to refresh my resume and give myself a confidence booster by getting a "pass" on other exams. Really....for some it's worth it just to build confidence.

Any suggestions regarding certs that aren't too time consuming or (hate to use the word) difficult? I'm not lazy to prepare...just wondered what others thought regarding which certs are considered easier. I'll move on to the difficult ones after I get the basics. Have to begin somewhere.
    Charlemagne,

Sorry to hear about the time crunch. Were you able to acquire the CD materials for the Heldman book?

As for your next certification, I found the Net+ to be very helpful and still able to be done quickly. I learned a ton from the Net+ and think it is one of the best certifications, yet I read the book and took the exam in 4 to 6 weeks. I got a great score as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
    Hi SharkDiver,

I have the CD Materials for Heldman. They're good. I did notice some errors in certain quizzes in the book (I found these as I looked at the publisher's web site) and these threw me off early on but, overall, there aren't more than 4 or five typos in the answers and that is the editor's fault, not Heldman. Having worked with publishers for years I know how an author can be blamed for what is an editor's oversight. The book is good (dry but good) and the CD is great stuff. So, I am just reviewing my notes and using the CD. Not much more I can do. I'm not going to dig into another prep book as I see no point in it. Same stuff just phrased differently. Plus, it's overkill. Until test day on 12/8, I just review the chapter end summaries, exam essentials, and key words (these are already part of my notes) and keep the main ideas fresh in my mind.
    Net+ seems like a logical choice. I'm also thinking ITIL with my background. First, I just want this exam over with. Really, the subject is interesting but some exam prep books are just terribly dry. But, I suppose we all know this.
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As other's said, Project+ is very much a straightforward exam. Just alot of too much information.

I used this book to pass: IT Project Management: From Start to Finish

The Sybex book put me to sleep. Was really dry reading.
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can't fear not passing. Failing? Hardly. The only way you've failed is if you've stopped trying and stopped learning.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• gvtheogiofgvtheogiof Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Cam on ban da post bai, chuc mot tuan moi vui ve va hanh phuc.
    Dien dan chung ta se ngay mot manh me hon.
    You're correct. Failing is giving up forever. I haven't. I passed ITIL Foundation, yesterday. I'll take Project+ on 12/6. I'm confident I'll do well. Failed it the first time. Passed it the next day on the second try. Good experience as it got me past all the test anxiety stuff. I just can't wait to get it done and move on.
  • Manteo_Manteo_ Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I felt the exact same way, I just finished TPV1 @WGU and I despised this course. Being handed a book and being told "go read this twice" was not my ideal way of preparing for an exam. I could have saved $1,000s in tuition and purchased a $40 book but I will not go into that...

The Sybex book was sufficient enough to pass the course even for someone who had no prior project management experience(like myself). I honestly read chapters 1-6...during chapter 6 is when I had enough, it was too boring. I completed my studies by reading the summaries and exam essentials of all the chapters, taking the chapter tests/bonus exams. I didnt even use flash cards...I consider myself lucky my score was pretty much 88%.

This exam is much easier than you'd think...the wording of the questions is the most confusing aspect of the exam.