Options

I just realized how much more enjoyable it is studying for a technology cert

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
Let me explain

I have been focused on so many application / processes type certifications the last 3 years that actually reading MS 70-686 has been somewhat enjoyable. I don't mean to say it's my favorite thing to do in my free time, obviously not. But it really is interesting and somewhat relaxing.

Studying for the PMP, RMP, CAPM and the MBA has been taxing to say the least. It has worn me out and almost taken some of the my motivation away from doing my actual job.

However I find myself interested in the 686 material and find it easy to pick off chapter after chapter without putting the book down.

I know this is a bit of a rant, but I just wanted to throw this out there.

Has anyone else ran into something similiar? I'm still in a management role so the value add is probably close to 0, but I still find it fun and informative. At least if I get put on an infrastructure / deployment project revolving around Windows 7 I'll have a lot more knowledge from the technologist vantage point.

:)

Comments

• Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Totally agree. I never enjoyed studying (well, almost never) while taking classes for my MIS degree. It all seemed like some abstract b***s*** :)
  • Options
    This may seem bizarre but other than my HR, Organization Management, and Finance all the other courses came across VERY abstract and BS :)

Did you end up getting your MIS degree. That's a nice degree to have.
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I can relate. I just passed the end of my first year in management and have been soaking up all the information I can find. It's not the most captivating subject matter, but for the past year, things like Manager Tools' podcasts have been of more benefit to me than tech certifications.

I've recently taken a break to get ready for the CCNA:S, since my CCNA expires in '13. I never would have thought I'd be so glad to review subnetting, lol. There's a lot of money to be made in management, but I'm not finished with the purely technical side just yet. I plan to alternate studies while I'm in this position to keep my skills current.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    XENO

Thanks for chiming in.

I agree my route has been paved and it's either project management or operational. Plain and simple it's the way it has to be now.

Like I mentioned earlier I am 4 courses and 1 assignement away from getting my MBA. I do plan on banging out the PMP sometime soon ~3 months.

With all that said I really want to knock out the Windows 7 MCSA. It's almost like unfinished business and the material is a lot of fun. Not to mention that I have dang near read the whole Cybex Win 7 book and plan on reviewing it again. That mixed with some light labbing and Messer the journey has been delightful.
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    2 N2IT: Yes, I graduated in August this year.
    By the way, a friend of mine spent more than a year preparing for PMP and said it was tougher than studying for the whole MBA in DeVry.