Options

negativeness

ddking303ddking303 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Why is everyone at dice forum so negative about tech career?

Do tech career really pay lower than unskilled labor?

I see no point in building tech career if it pays $13 an hour. How can anyone make any living on that.

Thank you
Ben

Comments

• Options
    jdballingerjdballinger Member Posts: 252
    Salary is probably one of the most subjective things in any career. You can have the same exact job title, duties, and responsibilities as someone who is merely in a different city, yet have an enormous disparity in pay. As far as the $13/hr thing, everyone starts somewhere. Some people luck out and get $40k jobs right out of school, others have to work their way up from the bottom. Take anyone's salary with a grain of salt, the only one that matters is your own.
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    I think what you have at the dice forums - and I'm generalizing here - are a bunch of bitter people who haven't been able to find a job. Some just live in an oversaturated market without enough jobs to go around, some have lost their jobs due to outsourcing, and some just aren't qualified for the jobs they're trying to obtain. From my brief time there and my few observations on threads on technical topics, I think there are also quite a few people that have a lot of certs, but not the knowledge that cert would entail (ie, braindumpers), and if they do get in an interview scenario, they likely get ripped to shreds on the technical aspects of the job.

Executive summary: dice is great as a job board, but take everything in their forums with a grain of salt. It is the blind leading the blind there.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    Oh, Dice posters...
    They also blame foreigners on H-1b visas for not being able to find a job.
  • Options
    ddking303ddking303 Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Fair enough. Yup, all they do is complain on dice. No constructive feedback. Thank you
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My general impression after reading the Dice forums a few times is that the majority of the complainers are programmers from California who lost their jobs in the recession. Their experiences aren't the norm IMO.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I used to go over to those boards. If you didn't know any better they are down right scary!!! i would agree with the assessments above. Take anything you read there with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    If you actually work at building a tech career, you'll be making over 100k/year in no time. There are many, many members here who have broke the 100k mark and almost everyone here with any amount of experience is making more than $13/hr.
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    My first job back in 2005 paid $7 bucks an hour
    I think 13 is not that bad
    If its the first years of your career its alright man, sometimes you land a big first gig but its most unlikely
    get knowledge, study, certs, degrees, social networking, move up and so on
    you will keep doing that the rest of your life
    salary will go up as you move on
    how much? depends on you
    meh