Options

Something cool for your Lab

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
Everyone has been there when you set up a config in IOS and you botched it and want to just hit the reset button. But, you dont have a reset button until now! This will bring you back to your fresh base config before you messed up your VPN tunnel or worse. Until now. If you havent used Cisco Confiuration Professional then you need to get it. I have been a long term CLI guy but this little baby might just swing me over to the dark side or might just make me lazy.

1) First thing you do is start with a clean slate by backing up your .bin file by TFTP and flash your NVRAM and reload your .bin file. Anyone working on your CCNA needs to know how to do this for a job so practice in Packet tracer first if your new to it. Once your lazy like me:D you can format your flash and upload a new .bin file with ease and no TFTP server.

2) Create you Gold Master Config by making your config as clean as you can and save it to your startup config "wr" I made a default config for my 1760 with a few vlans, VPN Server, Passwords and all. Once your done you can export the Startup config to your desktop and name it "Default.cfg" Dont forget the .cfg extension.

3) Now you can upload your base Default.cfg to your flash to store it for later use. Easy peasy!

4) Under flash management in CCP you can verify that your base config is now present in the flash memory.

5) Now when your at the point where you hosed up your config bad enough and need to restore it, you can do it in a few commands.

CORE-R1#show flash: | include .cfg
2 7583 Default.cfg

CORE-R1#copy flash Default.cfg startup-config
Destination filename [startup-config]? Destination filename [startup-config]? Press enter

CORE-R1#reload

6) Once the router reboots just verify your interfaces are up and your good to go for another round.

FYI, Im currenty doing my CCNA Voice and this is a builtin procedure for a Cisco UC520 box and I just adopted it for my other routers in my lab. Enjoy!
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

"GUI is the devil Bobby! But Momma...I like GUI and the GUI showed me it's $!#@ and I liked it"
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I move much faster with the command line. Now I can see what linux users have been talking about.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good use for CCP.

I'd rather do VPN from the GUI! *shudders*
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    inscom.brigadeinscom.brigade Member Posts: 400 ■■■□□□□□□□
    GUI is the devil Bobby! HAHA

watch this GUI in action, it looks sacry, (it starts out a little dull).

https://flukenetworks.adobeconnect.com/_a200406101/p9d581w0mf1/
  • Options
    pheobopheobo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello,
    I'm confused. Why not just use the copy command?

copy startup-config flash:/Default.cfg

if you ever need it...
    copy flash:/Default.cfg startup-config

or better:
    copy start flash:/DATE.cfg
    need to delete it?
    delete flash:/Date.cfg

I hope to pass my CCNA next week and start my voice track soon after, so I'm a noob. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    xXErebuSxXErebuS Member Posts: 230
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

or just use the configure replace command and you don't have to reload....